Tough Love

AN: A long one folks. Bella admitting her feelings is just one step closer to Edward and her becoming a couple.

>|<>|<>|<

I sighed as Edward parked his car. He had given me a ride as well as Alice and Jasper. I looked out the window at everyone. Here goes nothing. I stepped out of the car, noticing the immediate whispers and sly glances my way.

'Be strong,' I silently told myself. 'Nothing and nobody can touch you.'

Edward sent a smile my way and I smiled back at him.

The bell rang.

Holding my head high, I walked toward my first class.

>|<>|<>|<

Lunch came around. I got in line to get a tray of food. As I headed to sit at the table that the Cullens sat at, Jessica intervened.

"You know, you can sit with us instead of those freaks," she said.

"I like sitting with the Cullens," I told Jessica.

"I've seen those glances you two send each others way," she said. "Stay away from him."

"Why? It's clear we both like each other," I said, getting a bit on the defense.

"Because he's mine," she hissed. "And if you don't stay away from him I'll make sure your reputation is ruined." Then she stalked away.

I reached the Cullen table and sat down, thinking about Jessica's words. Luckily the Cullens hadn't entered the cafeteria yet.

I had no doubt Jessica would keep her word. I'd continue getting closer to Edward, because without him I had no place to stay. That and my feelings for him were getting deeper. Funny, considering I only met him two days ago.

The Cullens walked into the cafeteria, got their trays of food, and sat down at the table.

"Hi!" Alice enthused.

I smiled at her.

"Hi," I said back. I wondered if they heard what had gone down between Jessica and I.

I noticed Edward glancing at me. Jessica was right, he does sneak peeks at me. Does that mean he's interested in me? Gosh, I hope so!

I had to settle myself down. Just because he was looking at me didn't mean he was interested. It just meant he was looking at me. And of course, he'd never fall in love with a girl like me. I was too plain, not to mention that I was a mutant freak. Of course he knew that—I'd told them all yesterday —but it still didn't help things.

"Everything's gonna be great with you around," Emmett boomed. "Maybe you'll be the lucky one Eddie here falls in love with."

"Don't call me that," Edward snapped.

In the inside, I smiled. Maybe. After all, Edward hadn't denied it.