Death Valley

AN: The next few chapters will be traveling ones as well, but we should be hitting Isle Esme soon. There will be an ambush soon, but the Cullens are avoiding that at all costs because of Alice's vision. It'll have to be sudden and pop out of nowhere, therefore taking them off guard. Enjoy the chapter.

>|<>|<>|<

Edward returned with my food twenty minutes later. He'd gotten me two breakfast sandwiches and four hash browns. He'd also got me water.

"For my special Avian-American," he murmured as I ate my food. "Eat up, we're going to be nearing California today."

I tensed immediately.

"Edward, Death Valley, California is where the erasers camp is. We'd do best to give the area a wide berth," I said, desperately clutching Edward's hand.

I was all sorts of worried. If the erasers spotted me it would all be over. Forget having a happily ever after with Edward. They'd drag me kicking and screaming and the Cullen's would be killed by the Volturi because of the School finding out about vampires.

I couldn't allow that to happen.

"Relax Bella, Death Valley is still a ways away. I promise we'll completely avoid the area. And you know Alice will warn us if she sees anything and I'll alert everyone if I hear anything." His words soothed me as he gentle squeezed my hand.

"Now finish your food, we have a long trip ahead of us," Edward said.

I did finish my food, and as I ate Alice assured me that she hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary. When I was finished we buried my trash and I took to flying by Edward again.

"Tell us what we should expect when we near Death Valley," Jasper said, and I could tell he was carefully planning our trip around Death Valley.

"Well the area is practical barren. Its desert land. So you guys should avoid populated areas because its going to be sunny. The school is set sorta in the middle of Death Valley, and no one is aware of its existence. Um, the erasers also watch nearby towns, so be careful," I said, chewing on my bottom lip.

I described it the best way I could. Hopefully they could figure out the rest, and get an idea of what we should do.

"I think we should start traveling at night then, to avoid the sun," Carlisle said.

"Yea, that's the best course of action I can see," Alice decisively said.

We traveled some more before stopping extra early to start getting ready for traveling at night. We were partway in California and stationed in a stretch of forest. After I had eaten, I lay with my head in Edward's lap staring up at the blue sky. It wasn't dark yet but it would be in a few hours.

The next time I woke up it was dark. However I did have night vision so it didn't bother me.

"Do you want to fly again? Or do you want me to carry you?" Edward asked, stroking a hand down my cheek.

I sat up, leaning heavily against him. Flying would be nice, but for now I did want to be carried.

"Carry me please. I want to take a breather from flying," I told him.

"Alright then," he said.

Edward hauled me into his arms before dropping from the tree. He landed on his feet, and I could hear the quiet thuds of his family doing the same.

"Tired of seeing trees yet, dear?" Esme asked with a small smile.

"No, I've always found comfort in their high, overeaching branches," I said quietly.

Edward shifted me to his back and I settled against him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Ready to go?" Carlisle asked, and we all responded in the afirmative. "Good, let's get moving. We're getting closer to Death Valley. Keep your eyes and ears open."

Edward began moving and I nuzzled my face against the cold skin of his neck. He let out a rumbling growl in response.

We moved quickly, the Cullens giving it their all in order to be out of California. None of us wanted to be here, for two very obvious reasons. First, the menace of the erasers and whitecoats. Second, traveling with the sun overhead threatened exposure of the vampire species.

By the thinnest of hairs of luck we made it. Alice had had a vision that we'd be ambushed as we made our way past. This was enough of a warning to go around that area and move quietly past them. It worked and by sunrise we'd managed to leave California.