Quick Study

AN: So I can't promise on a schedule. My internet is a fail (well not really mine, its the neighbors who kindly let me use it) and half the time I can't connect. But I have copied and pasted the chapters into word documents so you guys will still get the chapters, even if I have to write offline.

Here is the next chapter. I feel like I'm vastly improving as an author and I have Twilight and Maximum Ride to thank! Hope you guys enjoy.

>|<>|<>|<

I flew alongside Edward, feeling pride in my heart as he ascended to the ranks of birdkids. Sure, he didn't have bird DNA, or anything bird related other than wings. But he could fly, and that made him one of us. Of course, the erasers could fly too, but that didn't matter because erasers would never be a birdkid.

However, everything had to end after a time and right then it was time for Edward to make his first attempt at landing. I looked at him, noting his gleeful expression.

"Its time for you to learn how to land," I said. I flew parallel to the ground. "Remember, monkey see, monkey do. And expect to eat dirt the first several times."

I straightened up and lightly beat my wings. I was running before my feet hit the ground. When I was standing still, I turned to watch Edward make his attempt at landing.

He mimicked what I had done, lightly beating his wings and running before his feet hit the ground. And he didn't even eat dirt! What a letdown. The first dozen times I tried to land, I face planted or was left with my feet still in the air. It had been fit for a comedy, my landing attempts. Though I knew he was my boyfriend and I should defend him.

I rolled my eyes at myself and went to go greet him with a kiss.

"Did I do good?" Edward asked.

"Yes. You're a quick study, Edward," I murmured, feeling myself warm with love with this beautiful man.

"I've always been good at things," Edward shrugged, downplaying it, but I knew that he was pleased with himself.

I noticed the sun was setting. I thought about what the future would hold now that Edward knew how to fly. As I thought his family crowed around us and congratulated their son and brother for learning how to fly.

I knew that now Edward was fully fledged, the school would be on our case even more. There would be no hiding; nothing would stop them from reclaiming me and gaining Edward by default. I had to do something. But for now I couldn't do anything or risk Alice catching wind of any potential plans. So I cleared my mind and focused on the present.

I had no choice after all.

>|<>|<>|<

I had a wonderful supper, with compliments of Esme as the chef. Edward sat close, his shoulder pressed against mine as I ate. The family was considerate of my high metabolism and Esme had made an entire lasagna just for me. That may seem a lot for the average person but for me? I ate two thirds of the entire dish.

Edward seemed fascinated by the fork and then I swear I caught jealousy flash across his face. I covered my laugh with a cough.

"Are you okay?" Edward fussed.

I rolled my eyes at his overprotectiveness of me but then smiled at the reason of his overprotectiveness. It was because he loved me, and the thought always pleased me.

"Fine," I said. "It just went down the wrong pipe."

I blinked innocently to seal the deal.

Edward just sighed. His cold hand found its way to my thigh, and I placed mine over his. The cold, stone like feel of it comforted me in ways that I couldn't even begin to explain. He was my heart, my soul. I could never live without him, and I knew he couldn't either.

I finished supper and Edward followed me to the room I was staying in. I gathered some night clothes and headed to the bathroom to change. After I was ready for bed, and had brushed my teeth, washed my face and brushed my hair, I emerged from the bedroom.

Edward was lying across the bed. His hands were behind his head and he looked content and at peace. Though I'd pay any person a million bucks to say that his mind was always racing, thinking on how to protect me and how to stop the erasers.

"Ready for bed?" his velvet voice practically caressed the words.

I flushed. He had no idea what his voice did to me at times.

"Yes." My lips quirked slightly and I crawled in beside him.

He pulled the covers over me and gently kissed my lips. I couldn't help but to lose myself in him, as the kiss stepped over the carefully lain boundaries he had set for us. Edward pulled away with a chuckle.

"Sleep, my love," he purred, his eyes narrowing into slants.

I snuggled up to him and did as he said. I slept.