almost.

memories of the first met with her playing in my head even though only a matter of minutes my eyes closed.

the red back light from the stretch of car in front of me adorns the view from where I am. maybe two more hours until I can arrive at the apartment, putting together ideas until finally sending a presentation on a marketing strategy that is now still irregular in my head.

even so, with a note that I managed to hold back the sleepiness that had attacked me since then.

"you better take a break. I'll drive."

her voice was heard accompanied by a gentle swipe on my arm which was driving by the steering wheel.

I can only smile faintly reply to her. a knock on a car window by a shabby boy made me realize that we were in the area near the cumulative settlement on the train. his appearance is as shabby as his dirty face.

I am estimated he is no more than eight years old. the boy stretched out his hand while trying to find my gaze behind this pretty dark car glass.

"this, give it to him."
she handed me a few money. I don't like that idea.

"leave it. if you give him, then his parents will increasingly use him to make money. That's not fair for children their age."

returning my eyes to the front, ignoring the one that was heard again.

"he is only a child who doesn't understand anything."
her breath was heard when she finished with his opinion.

not getting a response, the little boy now walked in the other direction and finally knocked on the window of another car.

I hope the person visited by the child will think the same way that giving the child money is not the answer.

parents who are responsible should ensure their children feel safe and comfortable at home instead of making them work at an early age.

fuck it all. what I know about being a good parent.

my head feels heavy. there are no significant movements of the cars in front of us. when I tried to find the shabby child, I saw another figure who was walking away from the red light.

I'm not wrong this time. I know the flannel, the length and shape of the body that clearly shows that the figure is herself. I immediately tried to remove the seat belt.

"Jeongguk"

her hand held me back. I immediately got out of the car and ran after the figure.

she is not far away and I can still find her walking fast to cross the highway through a zebra cross. her step stopped and from behind she seemed to notice the sign that was now showing red.

my breath was held several times amid my efforts to gather all my courage to speed up the steps and approach her.

"Chaeyoung."

I said while grabbing her shoulder. it even takes great courage to say her name.

she suddenly turned and looked at me with a surprised look. not for the umpteenth time. not again. I again failed to find her.

"mianhe. I think someone I know."
i bowed to her saying sorry.

although she finally nodded. this woman in front of me looked at me with an investigating gaze while tightening her grip on her backpack.

after back to say sorry, I turned around hoping that this would be the last time I failed to recognize her.

who exactly am I lying to now?
there's no way she is still the same as five years ago. she must have changed.

my car is still where I left it. the car's glass opened and Jieun's face appeared again indicating that I was going to the front passenger seat. she was already sitting in the driver's seat replacing my position.

I want to reject the idea but the car that has started to move and this means having to hurry.

"wrong person again?"
she asked as soon as I sat quietly.

"how long do you expect to find her?"
she asked again without looking away from my face.

"until I can be sure that she's fine."