Still Alive - Kakashi

Kakashi awoke early the next morning and, as much as he didn't want to leave, he needed to report to the Hokage's office for his new mission. 

He quietly dressed himself and found some paper and a pen in her kitchen, leaving Amari a long and heartfelt note about last night.  He didn't have the heart to wake her, especially since she had finally fallen asleep after a long night of tears, so he left it next to her pillow and kissed her forehead tenderly before heading out. 

The morning was cold and crisp, making Kakashi wrap his scarf around his neck one more time before stepping out into the street. 

Last night was a lot more emotional than he had bargained for, but it was nice to connect to a partner on that intimate of a level, even if it was just for a night. 

He still had a little time before he had to meet Lord Third, so he headed to the cemetery to visit the memorial stone, like he did so many mornings.  As he stood there, he allowed the emotions to wash over him that he had avoided for Amari's sake last night.  He let tears fall down his cheeks before wetting his mask below, freezing there on his face.  He should be on this stone, especially after his last mission, but here he was, still alive.  There were probably many times he should have been on this stone, but he wasn't.  There had to be more for him than. 

Maybe Amari was right, maybe it was time for him to pursue his happiness.  He finished paying his respects and wiped his eyes with his scarf before heading to the Hokage's office.  It felt strange to wake up and not put his armor and cat mask on anymore.  He had been an Anbu for so long that he wasn't sure if he could adapt back to being a shinobi for the Hokage again.  After all, it had been nearly ten years.  And since he was an elite Jonin, he would probably be getting students eventually as well, something that he was not particularly looking forward to. 

But that was not today's problem.

As he stepped in the door of the Hokage's building and headed toward Lord Third's office, reality began to settle in.  This was his first mission since getting out of the hospital.  Hopefully, this one went a little better.  He knocked on the Hokage's door.

"Come in."

He entered the office, shutting the door behind him.  Might Guy was already there, chatting with Lord Hiruzen.

"Kakashi, how are you feeling?"

"Much better, Lord Hokage, thank you."

"We've been worried about you, Kakashi.  You're lucky to be alive.  Good thing you have the full power of youth!"

Kakashi looked over at his friend and smirked.  Hiruzen walked around to the front of his desk.

"I'm sending a two man team out to gather intel on a band of what we are assuming are rogue shinobi roaming around the south-eastern border of the Land of Fire.  They haven't really caused any issues so far, but they may have something hidden up there sleeves, especially since their base is set around Tenchi.  We need to make sure they don't try to sabotage the fields or hospital there.  And we need to find out if they are affiliated with another group.  Gather

as much intelligence as possible over the next few days and report back."

"Yessir."