Chapter 49: Finally

The robe was a little big on me. But I didn't care in the least. I admired the flame pattern that adorned the bottom and the stitching Charlie did on the back. Sixth hokage... She fixed it to look just like the one my dad wore. The maid almost started to cry when she saw me, saying that I look just like Minato on the day he was swore in.

I never physically met my Father, but once, during a great time of weakness, when I actually considered releasing the nine tails spirit, he came to me spiritually. He was a strong leader, and a well loved man. I hope to be a hokage like him... Where is Charlie? It's almost time...

A few days ago someone gave me a very old picture. It's a little more than sixteen years old, tattered at the edges, but the picture frame I put it in helps to cover that pretty well. The picture featured a young couple, the man standing tall and proud with his hand on the woman shoulder, holding her close. His blonde hair hung semi long and messy as he smiled a wide, tooth bearing, closed eye smile. The woman was shorter, long red hair that was clipped on one side, and a gleaming, blushing smile adorning her face. Her hands were placed on her very swollen stomach. I picked up the picture and looked into the smileing faces of my parents, finding myself smiling too.

"Hi Mom, Dad. Guess what? Today, I become Hokage." I could imagine them standing with me, congradulating me... Saying how proud they were to have a son like me. "I'm following in your footsteps old man. And I would like you to guide me a little until I know what to do for sure. But I also have Charlie to help me through the really tough stuff. You guys would really like her, she's really pretty and pationt and nice. And she's so smart."

My eyes softened as I thought about her. "You guys would love her... She's not in the best health, but everyday is golden to her. And... she's the only reason I got this far... the only reason I'm here today."

There was a strange warmth that surrownded me. Like someone had embraced me body with gentel and careful arms. I imagined that warmth coming from my parents, the two in the piture. My forehead lightly touched the frame, sending a coolness across my skin. My mind wondered off as I stood there. I had told the elders council earlier that I wanted CHarlie to be next to me during the ceremony, but there are rules to these things, and they told me the requirements for her to be next to me. But even knowing what I know, I don't know if she will accept...

Charlie walked through the door, beautiful in a white knee length sun dress and dark blue sweater jacket. She smiled at me and ran to hug me. "I am so proud of you!" She said. My arms found their way around her, taking in her tiny soft form and holding her close. I've always been happy when she's in my arms. There's no feeling that can even begin to rival that of holding her...

"I could never have gotten here without you, Charlie. You literally made my greatest dream come true! So I think that It's only fair that you stand next to me today." Her eyes grew wide and she turnned away, walking over to look in the full length mirror in the corner. She fiddled with a lock of her sea blue hair and twisted it back and forth.

"Naruto, that is an honor that has been reserved for wives... or brides-to-be of the Hokage. I can't stand next to you as your girlfriend..."

"Well, what if I didn't want you to stand next to me as my girlfriend?"

"I can't stand there as your tutor either."

"Thats not what I mean." I wrapped my arms around her from behind and nuzzled her playfully, finally, sneakily, pushing the saphire ring onto her left ring finger. "I want you up there, not as my girlfriend, not as my tutor, but as my bride-to-be."

And I watched as those beautiful sunshine golden eyes grew wide and brimmed with tears, as she slowly turnned and looked up at me, shock and surprise evident in her gaze. Her nodded up and down slowly as she bit her lip and colapsed into me, my arms imeadiatly wrapping around her.

I had never been happier, never had such a warmth around me, standing out on the balcony, adressing Konoha as the sixth hokage, my Charlie, my beautiful, smart, outstanding fiancee, next to me, holding my hand, never had any clearer visions of a future so bright and true, that it almost seemed like a fairytail dream. Because what had at one point seemed like a dream and undoubtably become my full reality.