23

Luke called the guys and told them to meet at Jeremy's house.

He drove me after I got discharged.

In the car he let me pick a song and I chose silence. 

I have to start over. Luke brought me a pair of clothes since I had none coming in.

My mom didn't think to bring anything of mine when she signed the papers.

We made it to Jeremy and Greg's and Luke walked behind me up the stairs. I took my time. My lungs still felt a tad harsh.

When I knocked the door flew open and Jeremy was there and embraced me. He was teary and I could see James and Greg behind him.

I came in and settled on the couch. No one spoke for a while.

"Don't feel like you have to talk about it, but we are here for you. You can stay here as long as you want." Greg broke the ice.

"Thank you." I told him.

Jeremy held my hand. He was sitting next to me while everyone was one the floor.

"Thank you all for being here for me. I don't know what I did to deserve such great people in my life." I was getting choked up.

I covered my face and Jeremy wrapped his arm around me.

"We made cake." I heard James say.

I smiled and slowly put my hands down.

"What kind?" I asked, trying to move on from this awkward 'home coming'.

We all served ourselves some strawberry cake in celebration. Also it was Valentines Day. With all the excitement, I'd almost forgotten.

The doorbell went off and I froze, and I accidentally dropped my plate.

"Shit!" Greg exclaimed. He didn't say it towards me, but the door. 

I was hoping it was for him and not me.

He got to the door and we were all watching.

Opening the door I see a woman. She had dirty blonde hair and was coughing loudly.

"Hey babe."

We heard her say.

Jeremy made the first movement and walked to pick my plate up, rolling his eyes at the girl.

"It's just Tammy. Junkie hooker by brother fucks with." he told us.

The front door closed and Greg went out to talk to her.

"I'm sorry Jeremy." I said to him as he cleaned up my mess.

I though back to my mother on my first day back.

"Don't worry about it! It's alright!" he said, grinning. He finished and gave me a hug.

"Another piece?" he asked.

Greg comes back in and says, "Sorry guys." and shuts the door behind him.

"Why was she here? I fucking HATE her." Jeremy said to him, changing his mood quickly.

"Business." was his answer.

Nothing was asked about the matter after.

I ate another piece and joked around with Luke and James, who seemed to be having some issues.

It feels like there's tension everywhere, but they're holding it together for me.

The least I could do is hold it together for them.

When James made a comment about something he had to do at home, Luke and him said their goodbyes and left.

It was late anyway and I was ready to rest.

"Tomorrow, I'll give you some cash to get some new clothes, alright?" Greg tell me.

"You don't have to do that, really." I reply.

"I don't care if I have to, I want to, and you're gonna." he responds in a 'matter of fact' tone.

He fixed the couch for me and locked all the locks.

Lights out came and I lay there for a moment before falling to sleep thinking about where my new life will go.

"Hey, Andy," I heard Jeremy from the hall and I turned, to face him.

"Can we talk?"

"Sure." I replied.

He walked over to me this something wrapped in his hand.

"Here." he said handing it over.

"I- I'm sorry. I said not knowing what else to say since 'Thank You' didn't come to mind yet.

"Why?" he laughed

"I didn't get you..." I started.

"Don't worry about it! I would be an asshole to assume you got me a gift while you were in the hospital!" he said, making me feel less worse.

I looked at the wrapping. Kraft papering with little hearts all over.

I smiled.

"Open it!" he encouraged.

I slowly unwrapped it and found a necklace inside. It had a leather strap and looked to be a symbol.

"It's means strength in kanji." he told me.

"You have a lot of it, Andy. Whether you realize it or not, you are a strong person."

He hugged me and I just stared at it.

I didn't feel it right now, but maybe eventually, I'll feel it. It was a lovely gift.

I hugged him back and whispered, "Thank you."

He kissed me on my cheek and told me goodnight.

He went back to his room and I stared at the necklace.

I tucked it under the pillow I was using and fell comfortably into sleep.