22

"I'm sorry dad, it's just Andy is my friend and I needed to be here. He's been missing for days and with everything that's been happening I was concerned." Luke told his dad.

"Short visit, then home! We're having a long talk when I get home." he told Luke.

"Andy, I'll be back in Thirty." Dr Scott said then walked away.

Despite him being upset with Luke, he was still very understanding. 

"Oh my god, what happened Andy? I thought everything was alright! Did he come back?" Luke questioned.

I shook my head and motioned for him to come closer.

He looked back to see where his father was, then came closer.

"He did come back, and he did it again. I... tried to kill myself. Luke, I still don't want to be here. He'll always find me, he'll always come back!" I whispered and began crying.

He hugged me and I cried into him.

"Shhh, shhh, shh." he said and he kissed the top of my head."

"I'm here for you, you never have to go back. Andy, you have to tell the truth." he told me.

I broke away. "Are you insane?! I can't do that! My mom will get in trouble my dad he'll..."

"Andy! If you don't say anything, nothing will ever be okay for you!"

I cry into my hands and he approached again. 

"Look, you don't have to worry about me telling my dad. That information should come from you. He'll know what to do. I promise, I'll be here."

After all my tears left me I looked around to find Luke sitting next to me.

"My dad should be here soon. I can leave if you want." he tells me.

His dad walked in before I answered.

"Home." he tells Luke.

Luke looks at me and I shake my head.

"Dad, I can't. I need to be here."

Dr. Scott sighed.

"You need to be in the waiting room." he said to Luke.

"Is that okay Andy?" Luke asks me. 

I nod.

He leaves and it's just me and the Dr., his dad.

"So you are the infamous Andy, in the flesh. I was never home when you stopped by, but I heard about you a lot. My son is a very nice young man, and he has a big heart. Don't worry if you shared anything with him, he is not one to expose truths that do not belong to him."

He sat where Luke did, in the closer seat.

"I ask again, are you willing to talk today?"

"I don't want to live at home."

"Why not, Andy?"

"I don't like it."

"Can you go into why you feel that way?"

"I can't. I'm almost 18, maybe then I can talk about it."

"Why not now?"

"I just can't."

"But you don't want to go back home?"

"Never. I never want to go back home."

"What about your Dad?"

I shake my head. "I don't care."

"What about your mom?"

"... I don't care, not anymore."

"What changed?" he asked.

"Everything."

He stays for a while, and I stay with my choice. When he leaves he said he'd called Luke back in.

I picked up the phone and called my mom.

"Hello?"

"Hi mom."

"Baby! We miss you so much! Thank you for calli-"

"Mom."

"Yes."

"I'm moving out. I never want to see him again. Mom, I'm letting go."

For a moment, it's quiet.

"Okay."

"That's it?" I asked her incredulously.

"Andy, I don't want to lose you, and I almost did. I'll figure it out mijito."

"Okay Ma... I love you."

"I love you too. I'll be back to sign your papers tonight, they said tonight right? I'll be there. Then I want you to leave to a friend's and... be safe."

I'm crying again. I didn't think I had it in me.

"Okay mama. I will be. Bye..."

I hang up the phone and I take a deep breathe. I look up and see Luke standing at the door.

"You did good. We'll figure this out." he told me and for once, in a long time, I believed that things could get better.