4

The first day back didn't go so well. Maybe I’m not ready for this at all. It is now day two.

As I walk out the door, I realize I forgot to have her sign the slips and I didn't write that paper. Oh well.

I check my phone, and speed up my walking, I’m a little behind this morning. I woke up, coming to again and I needed to shower. My body was sore from all the fighting yesterday.

When I make it to school, I walk right in and pull out my schedule. That’s right… English.

I walk quickly with my head down to the “A” building and get to my class.

When I walk in only a few people are there. The teacher, and two students near the back.

Ms. Robins… I read off the white board. She’s wearing a hijab, and she’s a small woman. I walk past her, and head for the back.

“Hey!” I hear behind me, and it’s her. I turn and raise my eyebrows, curiously.

“Can I give you some advice, young sir?” she asked. I nod my head yes.

“Be brave.” And she motioned towards the fronts seats.

I stood there staring at the seat I would choose if I did decide.

I walk towards it and now I am at the right end of the first row.

She smiles at me and turns around. She has a gentle energy and it puts me at ease.

“What would you love to do if you had more courage?” is the prompt on the board.

The class fills and Ms. Robins begins to instruct us to take out a piece of paper and begin answering the question.

I pulled a paper from my backpack and wrote.

After 10 minutes, she announces to turn them in. She chooses someone to collect them.

Damn. I didn’t write this to turn in, I should have known better… I start folding it, and pick my backpack off the floor to put it in. I feel the guy approaching and before I could slip it in my bag he grabs it. Fucking jerk.

I cover my face. The rest of the period I am stressing over it.

At the end of the period, I start towards the gym. It’s a short walk across the way and I see the jerk who grabbed the paper out of my hand ahead of me going in the same direction.

I have Mrs. Jones for P.E. and I am okay with that. She is a little older woman, and one of the easier teacher in Phys Ed.

I walk up to her where people are standing in their spots, not dressed out.

She nods and points out my spot. “You go right there sweetie.”

I turn and see his face smiling at me. Creep. I frown and stand in my spot, directly in front of him.

After a moment, we are dismissed and told to bring our clothes by the end of the week.

Choosing to stay away from people, I walk into a corner of the outside P.E. area and sit.

The creep finds me. I had a feeling since this period started that he wanted to talk to me. I could feel his excitement.

“Hey!” he says approaching. I look down and wait for him to make it towards me. When he does I look and say, “Hey.”

He sits next to me, and I scoot a bit. I don’t think he knows too much about personal space. He’s short, thin and had dark hair. I look him in the face, and he had these piercing blue eyes, and tiny freckles lightly spattered on his face. He smiles big and I see his crooked, clean teeth.

I don’t usually like this feeling, but I feel a lightness and I smile back.

“So, I’m Jeremy! I know you’re Andres, right?”

“Andy. I prefer Andy…” I say quietly while looking away.

When someone calls me ‘Andres’ I can hear my dad saying it, and I hate it.

“Alright, Andy. You got it.” He smiles at me again.

I look away again. Why is it so hard to face him for more than a few seconds. Although pleasant, I can’t stand this.

“What’s wrong?” he says concerned.

“Your face.” I let slip.

Fuck.

“Well that’s rude.” He says.

I just cover my face and apologize.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.”

It's too late, he standing and walking away.

This is why I don’t have friends.