28

Desman looked over Grace as they enjoyed a game of Monopoly in the living room. She seemed less enthusiastic. He could tell that she was forcing her entire mood, and it bothered him. Sitting the game piece on the board, he turned to her and took her hands into his, dropping her money in the process.

"What's wrong?"

Grace shook her head, denying, "Nothing. Why do you think something is wrong?"

"Because you're just putting on an act for me. You're not acting like Grace."

Grace was silent. Desman stared into her blank face for a response. Just as he turned to continue the game, Grace pulled her headband off. He took a deep breath once she turned her head, revealing the purple bruise on her temple. Desman sighed heavily.

"He hit me... Desman, please don't say anything to my granddad or Dominic. I don't want either of them to get mad at me." Grace pleaded in a whispered tone. It had been a good three weeks to a month since the incident. Valerie would sometimes call her but they didn't talk much, and Sharon called often to see if Dominic was ready to see Camino again.

Desman reluctantly nodded. "How many times?"

"Twice. I asked for it, though, because I kept bringing up his situation with his dad. He didn't mean to. The second time I questioned his relations to a friend of his. It was just a reaction... Come on, you would've done the same thing?"

"No, that's sick. I have my past with women but I changed. I can admit I was a dog back in my days and I was weak for even treating women wrong. I can say that I'm better now and that I think Dominic is a poor excuse of a man. Grace, if he does it once, he'll do it again."

"But it was an accident. He doesn't like his dad and I pushed the issue. His dad hurt him and now his mother isn't really paying him much attention. At this point he needs me, and he loves me."

Desman sighed. "Grace, baby, look at it like this. If he loved you, he would never do anything to hurt you. He wouldn't call you out of your name or make you cry. Dominic has people in his life but he pushes them away. Maybe they won't talk to him because they know how he is..."

Grace looked down at the carpet. She felt so small listening to Desman. He was giving her reasonable facts. Still, she was attempting to convince herself that Dominic was the right one. They had gotten so far and she had become attached to him. It was hard for her to just up and leave.

"What's up?" Dominic walked in, noticing the silence. He disliked how they had nothing to say when he walked in. He noticed that Grace had removed her headband. Desman was giving him an ice cold glare. He scoffed before heading to their bedroom, slamming the door then walking to the bathroom.

Desman stood. "I'm going to go. I got to meet with a client soon. My schedule will most likely be full for the rest of the week. It would mean a lot if you came over tomorrow after work. We can find something to do. Don't forget to bring that project you're working on. I'll help you out, I love you. Call me if you need anything."

"I love you, too. Be careful." Grace looked up at him, her eyes lingering over his lips. Desman pursed his lips before stepping around her then heading out. Grace flopped down on the sofa placing her head in her hands. She didn't know what her next step would be but she couldn't stress anything anymore due to school.

"So, now we're involving other people in our shit?!" Dominic began, staring down at Grace. She said nothing while he huffed with anger. "I don't want that fuck boy over here! If he come back, that's your ass and I promise you that. Keep playing with me and you can get the boot just like the rest of these hoes!"

Sonya watched, fanning her face, as Dominic studied the transmission of her car. She was on her way to visit a friend when her car began to have issues. It wasn't bad but she used the excuse to see him again. He didn't call nor text after their sexual affair.

"So, what's up? What's my fee?"

"I'm not seeing anything wrong, Sonya, to be real with you. I just fixed this transmission issue... If you're still having problems then maybe you should return your expensive car."

"Damn, who took a shit in your breakfast? My car didn't do a damn thing to you."

"Nobody. I'm just tired of working on the bullshit for it to fuck up again."

Sonya scoffed, flipping her hair. "Excuse me? Maybe you should attend a better mechanic school so my car won't keep messing up. Maybe that's the problem, not my car."

Dominic ignored her, continuing to look for any more problems. He was about to close the hood when Sonya grabbed his arm. She turned him towards her, puckering her full, glossy lips. Dominic leaned in towards her until their lips met in a heated kiss.

"Dominic... I-I love you and I want to be with you. Do you want the same?" Sonya confessed.

Dominic's face dropped. "I'm in a fucking relationship. Get out before you make me lose my job."

"You're not giving me enough attention."

Grace looked up at Dominic as he came into the house, noticing he had on a different outfit from what he went out in. She was on her way to school. Over the time, Desman had taken her to get her learners. She was now saving her money to stop using Dominic's car because he was coming in later, and leaving out earlier nowadays.

"Where the fuck you going? I just got in, and you already leaving out?"

Grace continued to throw snacks into her bag. She attempted to ignore him but his presence alone angered her. As Grace opened a separate cabinet, Dominic pulled her ponytail, causing her to stiffen up.

"Maybe you don't want to be around me because you fucking someone else... Are you?!"

"No, let my hair go, Dominic."

"You got a lot of bass in your voice. You got heart now or something?" Dominic leaned in closer to her, the smell of liqueur lingering on his breath. Grace turned her head but he gripped her hair tighter, pulling it back before releasing her into the counter.

Dominic exclaimed, "SO WHY THE FUCK YOU AVOIDING ME?"

"Because you keep hitting me!" Grace yelled, attempting to grab her bag but Dominic roughly snatched her up, shoving her into the refrigerator.

"You keep being disrespectful! I do a lot of shit for you, like help you come from a fucking foster home!" Dominic raised his hand to slap her, and Grace crossed her arms over her face. "Move you arm now! Move it!"

Grace fought with him as he tried to move her arms. He shoved her onto the kitchen table, still holding onto her arms. She kicked at his legs to get him to move. Dominic released her arms once she kicked too close to his privacy area, backing up. Grace threw a basket, carrying fake fruits, at his head, breathing heavy.

She was about to grab her bag when his fist connected with her chin. Her teeth closed on her tongue and then blood began to slowly leak out. "Bitch, find your own way to school. Ask your gay ass uncle, the one whose head stuck so far up your ass, he can't see the spoiled ho he turned you into."