27

"Go where? To who crib? You got me all fucking dressed up to do this?!" Dominic yelled at a startled Grace. She was silent, her eyes reverting to their bedroom door.

She nodded. "Because you would not have came if I would've told you. My grandparents and me just met. They see how good I'm doing, and they want to see the people who helped me get this far. You're one of them. You've done a lot for me and I want them to be able to meet the people who made you who are today."

"Didn't nobody make me like shit, but the streets. They made me this way. He been in jail all this time, and my mama never cared about me! If she cared about how I felt, she would've got full custody of me and left his ass! Don't run this shit by me! I don't care about your grandparents because they can't do shit for you now! I've already done everything for you. We're happy without all the extra people!"

Grace chewed on her bottom lip. "So, you've done everything for me? You got my diploma? Got me a car? Raised me? Dominic, face it now, you were a big help and you still are but this is my family. You could never take their place. And I'm adding the extra people because I need them in my life. You can sit here and sulk but I'm going to eat, and meet your dad."

"Cool, go out and kiss ass like you've been doing."

"Dominic, you're sick! You want me to stay in this house and do nothing? I can't even see my family now because of your selfishness? Your family issues aren't mine. I'm leaving!"

Dominic moved over to her, displaying a scar on his side that she never asked about. "You want to be around him?! Look at what he done to me. I was young! I was helping my mama! He was beating her ass and I just wanted him to stop. I could never be in his presence without thinking about what he done!"

Grace stuffed her phone into her clutch, avoiding his eye contact while zipping it up. "Whatever, Dominic. I'm done with this conversation. People can really change, especially after doing a long bid. Are you coming or not? I'm ready to go."

Dominic clenched his jaw. He briefly turned around to cool himself down, but when he turned back around, her head snapped from the force of his hit. Grace stumbled before completely falling, hitting the waste basket before the floor. He stood over her watching as she slept on the punch, blood dribbling from her nose.

"Damn," he whispered to himself, "Come on, baby, get up."

Her phone vibrated from her clutch as he carried her, bridal style, over to the bed. Dominic couldn't believe he had hit her that hard. Fortunately for him and her, her eyes fluttered open as he was scrambling to get tissue. Grace groaned suddenly feeling the pressure on her jaw.

"Baby, baby, I'm sorry." Dominic dabbed at the blood, an apologetic look on his face. Grace was in utter pain and disbelief. She stared into Dominic's eyes, her blood riveting from her nose. He definitely had crossed the line.

Camino sighed heavily as Sharon rang the doorbell. They were at the home of Valerie and King Soto. As they stood there, Camino questioned, "Who are these people? Why are we here?"

"It's Dominic's girlfriend's family. I think they are nice people."

"Only because they got a big house and some nice toys sitting out in this driveway." Camino chuckled as he rubbed Sharon's butt. She slightly moved away then he narrowed his eyes. She quickly moved closer to him to keep him from acting.

"Hey, are you Dominic's parents?" Valerie inquired. Camino's eyes lingered over Valerie's breasts and lips, making her feel uncomfortable. Sharon proceeded to introduce herself oblivious to her husband's gaze.

Valerie smiled. "I'm Valerie, Grace's grandmother. That is King," she pointed to the muscular man emerging from the dining room, "Grace's grandfather."

Camino's eyes fell on him and he scoffed. It was a very small world. As they shook hands, he smiled wide. He knew his son wasn't such a jackass. Once he explained to his son how he had murdered Grace's parents, he knew Dominic and him were capable of finally taking the Soto's throne. But Dominic would indeed fuck their plan up. He was in love with the girl and that created more trouble for Camino.

As the adults enjoyed drinks around the dining room table, the doorbell rang. King was the one to go answer it. Sharon excused herself to use the bathroom. "So, Valerie, you have a nice home."

"I know," Valerie replied, "And you have a nice wife so you should respect her. I love my husband and I would never give you the satisfaction. Do me a favor and keep your eyes off of me, and keep your mouth shut. You're an inconsiderate jackass and I see right through you, asshole. Don't make me pull up your damn case again and tell King just what you did to his son."

Her angry expression quickly changed as Grace, King, and Dominic entered the dining room. She stood up then went over to her granddaughter. King was busy conversing with Dominic, who had not acknowledged his father. Sharon came back in and walked over to her son, wrapping her arms around him. Everyone then began to take their seats.

"You're very handsome," Valerie complemented, "Go Grace. Where did you two find each other?"

King excused himself to answer a business call as Valerie glanced at him, pursing her lips. He apologised quietly kissing her cheek then walking to their bedroom.

Grace forced her a smile. She glanced over at Dominic, who was gripping her hand pretty hard underneath the tablecloth. Attempting to wiggle her hand free, he gave her a brief deadly glare, answering, "My cousin. They were friends but things change. I'm glad Grace isn't hanging with her anymore now because she focuses more on school than partying."

Camino bluntly intervened, "So, Grace, how are you taking not having your parents in your life?"

"She's good. She never really knew them." Dominic answered.

Valerie scrunched her eyebrows. "Well, I knew my baby Quanndel and he was very nice. He didn't want to be in the game forever. He was a good person and he didn't deserve to die. Hey, the good die young anyways. At least he left something for us to love just like we loved him, if not more."

Camino added, "The good do die young."

Dominic stared him down and Valerie noticed the tension. She rubbed her foot against Camino's ankle. "Hey, Camino, are you into wine?"

"White wine," Camino answered with a grin.

"Well, let's go pick it out for you. I like to treat all my guests to my aged wine. Sharon, come along?"

Sharon declined sweetly once Camino gave her a dirty glare. Dominic was busy attempting to avoid eye contact with his father by talking to King. Still, he could feel the uneasiness in the room. He watched from his peripheral vision as his father disappeared with the beautiful woman. He knew that his father was up to no good and he hated that his mother was oblivious.

Meanwhile, Valerie had a broken bottle pointed at Camino. "If you're setting my granddaughter up, I promise you that you will regret ever crossing that line."

He held onto his swollen eye which she had hit him in with the flattened area of her high heel. "I promise you it's nothing like that. I have no contact with Montreal."

"I believe you but I'm also watching you and your son, you punk." She grabbed the bottle of wine then left him.