40

The entire day was gloomy. A lot of people weren't out due to the extreme strong winds, plus there was nothing to get into with the weather acting crazy. Destinny was cleaning her home when she received a call from Desman, informing her that they needed to speak. No less than two hours later, he had used his break to see his sister.

"It's nice to see you, Des," Destinny announced, smiling while taking a seat across from him. Desman nodded his head towards her before taking a sip of the orange juice she provided. "What brings you by after all this lost time?"

"I just needed to make sure you were fine."

"If you so much as look at Grace, I will make sure I cause more pain on Destinny."

King's promise sent chills throughout his body. Desman was afraid for his family. He and Destinny disagreed every day but that didn't change their relation. She was still his baby sister and he wanted to protect her. They were the last two people who genuinely had one another.

Desman realised that although Destinny was a fool in love, she never betrayed him. She had a slick tongue which went wild whenever she felt hurt. Still, deep down underneath that hard girl facade, she was still a lost little girl. All in all, he just needed to make sure to warn her to keep her eyes open without freaking her out.

"So, what's been going on?" she asked.

"I've just been working. Have you spoke to Grace? King?" Desman mentally cringed saying King's name. The man had more power than him. If he pissed him off enough, the police couldn't even protect him. King had police officers working for him! Desman felt like he was completely out of luck.

With Grace blowing him up and him ignoring each call, he knew it was only a matter of time before shit hit the fan, and knocked a bunch of dirty skeletons out of the closet.

"King, can I talk to you?" Grace entered his man cave. Nervous was an understatement. She just knew she was making the right decision. All she had to do was convince King to hop on board.

She entered the room and then took a seat on the couch, adjusting her jeans. "Today, I talked to a realtor that showed Michigan and I an apartment. Michigan wants me to move with her and help out with the baby. Could I have a job to help me out then I'll apply for college next school year?"

"Grace, that sounds easier than you think. What is Michigan's schedule? Hypothetically, you want to work different hours because you got plans but Michigan needs a sitter. What will happen?"

"Her mother will have him. Come on, I need to go. Being here is straining our relationship. You want me to be this holy child and I'm not that."

King sighed heavily. He had just become so used to her, and he knew he missed years of her life. He thought that Grace was still the young baby he once held but he realised that she had grown. His granddaughter had to get out and experience the real world or she'd be just like her parents- young, selfish, or even worse, dead.

"Fine, I'm giving you this chance. Make me proud, little girl." King agreed. "I make no exceptions for family. You'll be on time and you'll work hard, or you'll be fired. Come to the restaurant at nine-thirty sharp tomorrow."

"All right. Well, I'm going to Michigan's to chill real quick."

After leaving the house, Grace drove through traffic. She ended up near Desman's neighbourhood. She saw that he wasn't there so she left going over to Michigan's. They actually did discuss the apartment arrangements but Michigan also said that she wasn't doing it for long. Grace was not a roommate but more of a guest until she could get her stuff together and go.

But Grace was scared because what if she never got her stuff together?

She ended up going back over to Desman's and seeing him parking his car. She wanted to get out and speak but it felt as if her legs were frozen, her stomach stirring with nausea. Once the door was closed behind him, she drove to the nearest gas station to sulk and vomit in the bathroom.