2

5 Years Later

Grace laid out on her bed with her fingers wrapped around her boyfriend's neck, choking him playfully. He gently pried her off before he attacked her lips with many kisses. She smiled, laying down on the sheets. Sammy climbed in between her legs, trailing his kisses over her neck. She stared down at him as he unbuttoned her shirt, kissing the skin between her breasts.

"OK, enough. I don't want my uncle to come in." She pushed Sammy's head, as he groaned. He laid beside her and she kissed his forehead.

"You know I would be down for it, but I'm scared of what he might do to you. He's crazy, babe." she reminded him, her mind flashing back to the many times he had tossed Destinny around the house.

Things had changed. They were still living it up, but only because Destinny had to get a job. Jeremy was losing major money and it affected him every day. He couldn't flaunt any more like the old days and it bothered him. He often took his anger out on Destinny, who worked pretty hard. He drank sometimes and cursed at both of them, and sometimes even bought in random druggies.

Grace didn't really stick around much. She got her job at the local grocery store, working after school and mostly on the weekends. It was the only way she ever got what she wanted. Destinny's money went to bills and Jeremy's extracurricular activities. She was a complete dummy but Grace never said anything, in fear that Jeremy would hit her.

When he got to breaking things, Destinny would run to Grace. She learned to stop running when Grace kicked her out of her room one night. She didn't do it to be cold-hearted but because she wanted her aunt to finally get fed up. She wanted her aunt to fight back to protect herself. Destinny, as usual, was too weak so she cried bloody murder until he stopped.

Sammy stared at his girlfriend of eight months. He thought she was absolutely gorgeous when she was deep in thought. He knew that her fancy lifestyle wasn't what it really was. She didn't tell him much, but he saw it with his own eyes. Plus, his mother often talked about Grace's aunt because they worked the same job. He knew her aunt was getting backhanded by her boyfriend all the time. A lot of other people knew, too, and they laughed behind Destinny's back because she used to be all that and then some.

"Ma, what you thinking about?"

"Boy, don't play, you know my name isn't Ma. Your little hoes might pass for it but I don't." she fussed, hitting him in the chest with her pillow. He laughed lightly, careful not to disturb her sleeping uncle.

She climbed atop of him again and hovered over him, pecking his lips and biting them. They weren't sexually active but that didn't stop them from touching one another. Sammy was prepared to try her, but Grace was shy. It didn't mean her curiosity had not gotten the best of her. She still wanted to try all the time but sex was one of her biggest fears. The consequences scared her enough.

"One time," Sammy pleaded, fondling her breasts. She hopped off of him when the sound of shoes clicking echoed throughout the house. Sammy sat up, straightening out his pants. Her bedroom door opened right on cue.

Destinny stared directly at him. "Your mom is waiting on you."

Sammy nodded, grabbing his bag. He kissed Grace's forehead before leaving out of her bedroom. Destinny patted his shoulder before walking into Grace's bedroom. She closed the door behind herself, walking further inside. She sat on the bed and smiled at Grace. "Has Jeremy been sleep all day?"

"Yes."

"Good, I hate him so much. Last night he bruised my back. He thought I was being smart with him, I don't know why he does this to me. He used to be so different. Now, it's just like he doesn't care about us any more. I'm so scared to tell anyone what's going on because I know he's crazy. He'll mess-"

She stopped abruptly when she heard him cackling. She hurriedly got up and went towards the door, unlocking it. Grace watched as Destinny left her room without another word. Soon after, she heard Destinny and Jeremy talking. She laid down then began texting her closest friend, Michigan.

Michigan wasn't her real name. She only got that name because she was from those parts, and was new around the city at the time. She also had their accent and slang. Her and Grace clicked because they shared a laugh at something in their middle school bathroom. That transformed into them becoming the closest of friends. They didn't go a day without talking.

Grace was telling Michigan what had just happened, over a text, with Sammy. Her room door opened and Jeremy's deep voice startled her, "Destinny said do them dishes so she can start cooking."

"I did them today already," Grace replied, not bothering to look at him. She continued to text, ignoring him still standing there. Jeremy was growing angrier by the second.

He retorted, "Well, do them again. You live here, too, you know?"

She waved her hand at him, noticing an incoming call from her manager coming through. She answered in her most proper tone. Jeremy stood in her doorway as she listened to her boss. He needed another employee in because one had gotten sick. Grace didn't mind because Sammy had already gone. She grabbed her work attire from her drawer, forgetting Jeremy was still there.

She had her shirt unbuttoned down to the middle when he ordered, "Wash those dishes or you not going nowhere."

She sighed heavily before undressing then dressing in her work attire. Michigan agreed to pick her up and take her work, so she laid around her room until Michigan text messaged her again, telling her to come out. She grabbed her house keys then exited her bedroom, only to be pushed to the kitchen by Destinny.

"Just do them," Destinny mouthed.

"No, I have to go to school eight hours, come home to clean up his mess, then work eight hours. I mean, what does he do besides make the messes around here?"

Jeremy emerged from their bedroom. "I pay bills. That's what I do! So, I don't understand why I'm getting disrespect from a visitor!"

Destinny stood between the two, holding Jeremy back as his face contorted into his usual, angry expression. He was heated that Grace thought she was all of a sudden grown. He had raised her into the young lady she was today, so he thought. He already had Destinny working his nerves by being petty. He wasn't going to have the little brat disrespecting him like he meant nothing.

"I'm not cleaning no dishes. My manager called me in, so I'm gone." Grace walked away. Jeremy watched her, breathing heavy. Destinny kissed his chin to calm him down. He pushed her away before walking back to their room, and flopping down on the bed. She soon came in after him and sat down.

Jeremy admitted, "I don't know what made you bring that little bitch into my house. I don't like her and she be bringing company over like she pay bills. She work a damn grocery job, and now that little bitch too good for us. She can't even give back to us after all we did for her. When your sister getting out of jail so she can get her child?"

Destinny sighed, remembering the lie she had told. She didn't want Jeremy to know that Grace was Quanndel's daughter. He would do anything to have her killed. He wanted nothing to do with the Sotos. King had put him in his financial situation right now. He promised to always look after Jeremy if he did one simple task for him. Jeremy did the task and never heard from King or his men again.

Destinny gulped. "I-I don't know. Baby, she isn't that bad. She just doesn't like how you treat me."

Jeremy growled, "Bitch, shut up! You sound as dumb as you look. I treat you good. You always talking crazy. When the last time you even went to see your sister? I'm ready to have my cousins jump your little niece if she can't get with the program."

"It was around two months ago.. She's not coming home soon. Baby, she caught a child cruelty charge plus she had drugs. Its going to be a while."

Jeremy stared at her. She shifted at the uncomfortable silence. He looked deep down into her light brown eyes, and she held the eye contact. He broke the eye contact, satisfied with his answer. Destinny left the bedroom, deciding that she had to do something to prove herself or else Grace would be dead.