24

"Desman, I feel out of place already. I'm scared to meet him..." Grace admitted as they pulled in front of King's home. It was very spacious and there were lots of nice cars parked on the lawn. Desman's mixed right in but that didn't change Grace's mood.

This was her first time ever meeting her real blood. Although she still considered Desman her uncle, she was really nervous to meet the people who really had her blood. Desman seemed more nonchalant because he had met the people before. He was just chilling, and she actually suspected that he had something in his system until he started to act professional.

"Grace, don't be scared. This is just like meeting a stranger. I promise you'll be fine and you'll love him. Let's just go in and test it out, OK?"

"OK."

A minute later, Grace was walking up the stairs with Desman behind her. He was eyeing her frame in the tiny shorts, complementing her soft thighs. Her back tattoo peeked from underneath the small tank top. He questioned himself when that had happened, suddenly reminding himself that Destinny was never responsible.

Grace's hips swayed, creating a rise in Desman's jeans. He went for a more casual look with dark blue, straight leg jeans and a white Tommy Hilfiger button down, paired with his all red Nike sneakers. He stood behind her, his hands stuffed inside his pockets, as she pressed the doorbell.

There was a moment of silence and then a dog barked. Grace sighed. Desman peeked through the side lights as Valerie approached the door, a small dog in her hands. He glanced at a jittery Grace.

"Hey, Desman... and Grace."

"What's up?" Grace mumbled as she stepped in. She remembered the small woman from the grocery store. They stood in the foyer, boring into an awkward silence. Valerie offered Desman a wine cooler. He gladly accepted following her to the kitchen, as Grace studied the collage of photos on the wall.

She immediately knew who her dad was, recognising the smile she shared with him. She could have been wrong but she highly doubted it. Studying the rest of the pictures, she saw one of an older woman, carrying a child. It's Valerie holding my dad, she thought.

But the baritone voice answered her thoughts. "That's your grandmother who was killed holding Quanndel."

"Where's my mom?" Grace inquired, glancing back at him.

King replied, "Come here. I got a full photo book of London and my son, and your real aunt."

"Where is she?"

"She was killed on a dummy mission." King answered, heading into the living room. Grace was following behind him, eager to know how her mother looked. She had already concluded that her dad was handsome. King bent down, grabbing a pink and white book from a bookshelf.

"I was able to get this from your mom's house with my wife's help. It's her photo book she kept pictures in. It's plenty pictures of London and Francis, your aunt. Just don't get any ideas from some of the pictures."

Grace smiled, sitting on the sofa then opening the book up. The first page held a wrinkled piece of paper.

" Sister. She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child."

Grace flipped the page, her eyes already beginning to water. She skimmed through the pictures with a weak smile on her face. She looked nothing like her mother. She may have had her nose and lips, but she was all her father's. King knew there was no denying the young girl taking up space in his living room.

Valerie sipped from her wine cooler. "Where's that sister of yours? She called talking about Grace had ran away from her."

"Grace did, but she's in a safe place now. I trust her to make the right decisions. She's working and focusing on school. We're going to the DMV tomorrow to try to get her learners. "

"Good, good. Just look after her the best you can. You know I'm not able to do much, but if you can, just protect her and we're going to try to come back into her life. We know it's soon but hopefully she can come around, and see that we did everything to protect her."

Desman and Valerie smiled once they heard Grace's light laugh, Desman's heart fluttering. King and Grace stepped into the kitchen. King grabbed a beer from the refrigerator then laid a delicate kiss on his wife's blushed cheeks.

"So, Grace, we're happy you came." Valerie spoke.

"Me too. I mean, it's difficult to grow up without any parents. I had Destinny but she just kind of left me for her boyfriend. I thought that I could trust her. She was just so real with me at first then things changed. Jeremy started beating her and I really didn't have anyone besides a snake of a best friend to talk to. That didn't do me any good. I always wanted to just run home but I realized I never really had one to begin with."

Desman clenched his jaw.

Grace continued, "Everyone talks about being able to cry on their mother's shoulder and I never had that. I wanted to introduce my first love to my dad but that isn't possible either. I know you two gave up on me before but I just hope things have changed. I'm tired of meeting people who aren't down for me like I am for them. I just want to establish real relationships with people."