Silence. Book I

Well, this is definitely not the easiest story to review, I'm not even sure what to start with... this story is just different. Like Oakley is different.

As a Russian proverb goes, "words are silver, silence is gold", but I really doubt it is the case with this book.

While it may seem as any other teen-story with some high-school drama, first love, boyfriend-girlfriend relationships, difficulties with parents and other essential ingredients, there is also a great portion of mystery. Why doesn't Oakley talk? Not even a word, not even a text, never a sound? As you move through the book you start making assumptions, though you are not told much to have a good guess, so it's a bit frustrating :) The number of distractors in the book is just incredible - a vocation abroad, a disasterous birthday party, a suicide even, - the author does a good job to keep our mind off the main question - when or if Oakley is going to talk. By the way, my favourite distractor ever is the Halloween part! :)

I'm usually quite good in guessing the ending of the story but this one left me dumbstruck with goosebumps the size of a small spaniel dog crawling all over me.... I would never EVER could have foreseen such a twist of the storyline. I mean, really, just when everything is improving, when everybody seem to have finally come to terms with reality and agreed that Oakley is perfect just the way she is, mute or not mute.....BAM!..... and I'm speechless...(no pun intended).

To tell the truth, I'm impressed with the book, I even retold it to my mom because I could not keep it to myself, and while I was doing so, I noticed my husband trying to be discreet in unfolding his ears to listen till the end of the story! :) Now they are waiting for me to read the second book, "Broken Silence", which is not completed yet, unfortunately, but I'll be patiently waiting for uploads, I'm too curious how it is going to work put for Oakley and Cole.

Oh, Cole... sweet, caring, beautiful boy.... he's fictional, alas, but he had to be invented, he's too good!

Just one more thing I have to add. I admire mothers, they acquire this supernatural ability to complete a million tasks while their newborn baby is sleeping, I experienced it myself, I remember it so well... but to complete a book!!!! A great book!!! Unbelievable!!!

Thank you, Ashton, for letting you mommy write from time to time, I wish you good long night sleeps :)