Chapter 44

Vince couldn't help but cry in fear as he waited outside the door. Ni halos hindi na yata siya humihinga. Bawat segundong lumilipas ay tila parusa sa kanya.

He just saw Diadem's lifeline turned flat and he was fervently hoping that the doctor would successfully revive her. God! He was getting out of his mind now. What if the doctor couldn't save Diadem?

He shivered at the thought. He wouldn't take it. He wouldn't bear it. He wouldn't accept it! Oh God! He raked his fingers in his hair, pulling the strands as hard as he could, as he struggled to bear the pain in his heart that was tearing him apart.

Bumukas ang pinto. Mabilis na lumapit siya sa doktor. "Kamusta si Diadem, doc?" tanong niya sa nanginginig na boses.

Umiling ang doktor. "I'm so sorry. We tried our best to save the patient, but her heart stopped beating already," malungkot na pagpapaalam ng doktor.

He staggered on his feet. "No!" he exclaimed in terror. Nahigit niya ang hininga sa narinig. His world suddenly turned into chaos.

Ang kinatatakutan niyang mangyari ay tuluyan nang nangyari. The doctor wasn't able to save Diadem! Patay na ang babaeng pinakamamahal niya? At ang anak nila sa sinapupunan nito paano na? He just lost the love of his life and their baby as well. He felt as if he was stabbed a hundred times to death. Oh my God! Pero hindi dininig ng Diyos ang mga panalangin niya!

"I'm really so sorry, Mr. Boulos..."

Napaatras siya. Hindi na niya kaya pang marinig ang iba pang sasabihin ng doktor. It was too much for him to take. He was dying, too.

He felt as if his spirit departed him and went somewhere else, together with Diadem. He screamed in agony, in pain and deep misery. How would he live now without the person whom he loved so much? His whole body was shaking when he sobbed like a mad man.

"Doc, ang pasyente..." wika ng nurse na tinawag ang doktor.

The thought that Diadem was already dead pulled out every sense of life in him. He ran without any direction. Oh God, what would he fucking do now? Parang sasabog na ang kanyang dibdib sa bugso ng emosyon. He couldn't see anything around him but darkness.

Nakarating siya sa hagdan. He took the stairs and climbed the steps until he reached the rooftop of the hospital. Nahahapong napasalampak siya sa sahig habang habol niya ang kanyang hininga. He was weak all over, even his spirit.

He just felt so tired and exhausted from too much pain, and suddenly, he desired to rest. He just couldn't live his life like this. He would only live in pain, misery and regret all his life.

Tumihaya siya nang unti-unting mawala ang hapong nararamdaman niya. Ang madilim na kalangitan ang sumalubong sa kanyang paningin. The night was dark and it only mirrored what he felt inside. There was no light in his world now. There was no more happiness. There was no more hope. There was no more life.

Napapikit siya nang mahigpit at humagulhol nang malakas. Pero tinatangay lamang ng hanging panggabi ang kanyang panaghoy. Ilang minuto rin siyang umiyak lamang nang umiyak. Hanggang sa naging manhid na lamang ang kanyang pakiramdam. Hanggang sa tulala na lamang siyang nakipagtitigan sa madilim na langit.

Wala sa sariling tumayo siya at naglakad. Nakarating siya sa gilid ng tuktok ng building. He saw the glittering lights of the city from where he was at. They looked beautiful but he couldn't appreciate it.

And that was when he realized that he was at the rooftop of the hospital. The height overwhelmed him. It was windy and the pressure of the wind pushes him as if he was a branch of a tree.

He swallowed hard, his eyes riveted to the view of the city below.

A horrifying thought was playing in his mind, tempting him to give in and follow the path to complete numbness. He just wanted to end his fucked up life now. He just wanted to stop feeling the pain that was torturing him. If this was the kind of life that was left for him in this world, he had no more desires to stay. He just wanted to be with Diadem and their baby.

He moved his leg as he closed his eyes. He could only see darkness. That was where he wanted to go.

Vince... Daddy...

He could hear voices in his head. Soon, he would be with those voices and they would finally be complete.

He held his breath as he imagined himself spiraling to his end. It felt sweet and fulfilling.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is the last chapter. Next is the Epilogue (ending) which I'm thinking to post here or not because that chapter was never posted on Wattpad as it is only available in the book. But I might change my mind! :)

Sharon Rose