Chapter 42 Continuation...

Vince couldn't properly breathe as he waited outside the emergency room. Puno ng pangamba ang kanyang damdamin.

Paano kung hindi maganda ang lagay ni Diadem? He didn't know what happened. Ang alam lang niya ay nagtangkang magpakamatay ito. No other details were supplied to him. Christ! This was a torture! He was pacing back and forth as he shook his hands.

He had been like this twice in his life - when Winona was dying... and when he was a little boy, clutching his breath as he waited outside the E.R. while his mother was being treated by the doctor. Both times gave him nightmares. Dahil hindi magandang balita ang bumulaga sa kanya.

And here he was now, in the same situation and the feeling was even worse. Hindi niya alam kung ano ang kanyang gagawin kapag hindi magandang balita ang mararatnan niya. He couldn't afford another loss.

Oh God, not Diadem please! Tumingala siya sa kisame na tila nakikipag-usap sa Diyos. He was helpless when Marietta died. He was a little boy without any penny to spare. Siguro kung may pera lang sila noon at naagapang dalhin sa ospital ang kanyang ina, hindi siguro ito namatay. And Winona... he already had money during her death, but it wasn't enought to save her.

He was willing to spend every dime of his billions now just to save Diadem. He would be willing to trade whatever he had for her life. He could't afford to lose her. Not now! Never at all! And to think that this was his fault made him feel even worse.

All he was asking was to have a chance to fix his life and begin anew with Diadem. Just one chance and he wouldn't waste it. Sana naman ay pagbigyan siya ng Diyos sa natatanging kahilingan niya. Sana... sana... Kaagad siyang umayos nang pagkakatayo nang bumukas ang pintuan. His heart was thumping hard in fear, worry... and hope.

"Doctor!" Kaagad na lumapit siya sa lalaking nakasalamin na nakasuot ng damit pangdoktor.

"Ikaw ba ang kamag-anak ng pasyente?" tila pagod na tanong nito sa kanya.

"Yes, doc," kaagad na sagot niya. "I'm her fiance," the words slipped in his mouth without any hesitation. "How's Diadem, doc?" He couldn't hide his worry anymore.

"She's in an unstable situation right now, Mister..."

"What do you mean?" He blinked his eyes hoping that he had just misheard the doctor.

"Well, the patient is in a coma. Her chance to survive is 50-50 as of the moment. She drank a lot of sleeping pills and it made a complication with her heart. I conclude that she had a heart attack, too."

"Please do your best to save her, doc," he begged as he held his hand. "I'm willing to pay whatever amount you will charge. Just save her... please..." He had a fucking billion of dollars at his disposal!

Napailing ang doctor. "Apparently, we're just mere doctors, Mister. Doctors are not God. I can't guarantee you anything as of the moment. The patient will be transfered to ICU for further treatment. She's under observation, too. We'll inform you further about her condition once were done with our diagnosis. We're taking a closer look at her heart condition. Mahinang-mahina kasi ang tibok ng puso ng pasyente sa ngayon. I hope she'll get better."

"Doc..." Hindi niya alam kung ano ang sasabihin. Bigla siyang nanghina sa narinig. Parang ayaw na rin yatang tumibok ang kanyang puso.

Tinapik siya sa balikat ng doctor. "Don't lose hope, Mister. We're doing our best to help the patient. Tatlo kaming doctor na in-charge sa kanya. We also have to pool some specialists should we need to."

"Salamat, doc," he said painfully. His throat suddenly became painful as he swallowed. "When can I see the patient?"

"You'll be allowed to see her once she's properly transfered to ICU. Our Medical Staff will inform you once everything's okay."

"Okay, doc..." Napatungo na lamang siya. His chest was heaving hard as he breathed.

"O siya, mauna na ako. I still have some patients to attend to."

"Thanks, doc..." Nakipagkamay siya sa doctor. And he weakened even more as the doctor left and he was standing alone in front of the E.R.

Diadem wasn't okay... Parang sirang plaka na paulit-ulit iyong humihiyaw sa kanyang isipan. The woman that he loved so much wasn't okay and she might die any second.

Oh God, please forbid!