Chapter 31

Chapter 31

(NOT EDITED)

“Umm… Luke, she’s falling asleep, I don’t think falling asleep will do her good; we need to get her to a hospital, like now.” I felt Kai’s chest rumble as he talked. My eyelids were growing really heavy.

Kai stopped walking.

I felt someone’s warm hand touch my cheek, it was so warm, I pushed my face into it. “She’s cold as ice, and she’s too pale.” That was Luke’s voice.

“Lottie.” I forced my eyes open. “Hmm?”

“How’d you learn to fight?” I think that was the other guy, Blade was it?

My brain wanted to explain everything but I was too exhausted to talk, so I muttered one word.

“Bruce…”

I felt Kai’s grip tighten.

“Bruce?” he asked.

“Is, my friend…?” I whispered. “Was…”

“Blade round the corner. On three.” Luke’s voice called to Blade.

I heard muffled groan, and shuffling around before, “Gabriella, can you try to stay awake? Or do you want me to wake you up?” I looked up at Kai’s eyes. He’s eyes, the green eyes, with specks of blue and maybe even a hint of brown. “I can’t I’m tired.” I whispered. Then I felt his lips on mine. My slowed down heart was racing again.

My blood pumped and warmth returned to my cheeks. A smile crept to my lips, and my eyes widened at what Kai just did. “There. You’re awake now.” He smirked at me. More shuffles and grunts, I saw Luke’s head popping from around the corner, “Come on.”

Kai jogged over, with me still in his arms.

“Were almost out, I’m pretty sure, I’ve seen this corridor before.” Luke mumbled. Then we heard voices. Kai quickly hid around the corner. I saw Blade push up against the wall with his feet, and was now almost doing the split right under the ceiling. Awesome.

Luke huddled into the little gap in the wall, waiting for the men to pass by.

Kai held me closer against the wall, we waited like that while I heard, Blade jumping down and growls and sickening sound of knives, being stabbed into skins, and knuckles making contact with faces, and bodies.

When Luke came around he grabbed my arm and tossed it around his shoulder, with his other hand around my waist, keeping me in balance. I heard Kai, talk to no one in particular, muttering to himself.

Jackie, Felix and Pixel, how’s it going?

We’re almost out.

Clear the way.

And I thought I was crazy.

I looked up at Luke. He was looking down at me, and gave me a little smile. My heart clenched, guilt was what I was feeling now. Mum died because of me. Luke’s hurt and tired because of me. I always get myself into trouble.

My face fell and I looked away.

“What made you come back?” I whispered. Still avoiding eye contact. Before he could utter a word. Kai glanced over. “Luke it’s now or never, we need get out now, in two minutes, we need to hit the road, or were done for.”

I didn’t want to know why or how he knew that and I wasn’t too keen on knowing what he meant.

Luke passed me over to Kai again, and on three we burst out the door, Blade and Luke in the front.