Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Jackie braked so hard the bike spun 360 degrees, before stopping. Lifting a smoke of dust around us. Not even five seconds past before, another cloud of dirt formed. Signalling Blade’s arrival.

Pixel and Felix, will be here in a few minutes.

I jumped off.

Blade stood on one side and Jackie on the other.

The memories of these woods. The hours Lottie and I spent in this woods, is uncountable. Of course as I grew older, I spent less and less time. The truth being told, I was juggling three jobs. I mean I couldn’t let Lottie, wear worn out and torn clothes to school.

If my parents weren’t going to be responsible. Then I have no other choice but to take their positions. I worked from 6 pm to 7 am. Three different jobs, two over nights and one evening. I slept while Lottie was at school. Then spent afterschool with her until six.

The tree.

Blade sniffed the air. “Smoke.”

I sniffed the air. I couldn’t smell it.

“No, look.” He pointed towards the sky. I looked up to see a thick cloud of smoke. Then I ran. As I neared our tree, I could hear the crackling of wood burning. And the smoke was getting denser.

Which fucked up idiot would make a fire here. In the woods.

Then I saw the tree.

Our tree.

It was on fire. The trunk was black. Branches snapped as they gave away. The air fuelled it.

The.

 Tree.

 Was.

On.

Fire.

This is where our childhood was created, this is where Lottie and I seek refuge when things got too much. This was our tree. The pictures and drawings would all be gone.

“Uh… Luke you might want to see this.” Jackie called from behind me. Whoever lit this tree on fire is going to burn. I’ll kill him.

 I ran up to Jackie, Blade stood by him. “He was knocked up before we got here, but his blood is still fresh, so it wasn’t long ago. But whoever did this was pretty furious himself or her?” Jackie muttered.

Lottie. No. It can’t be her I mean she is strong, but not this strong. Someone else is here.

“Yo guys we’re her- eew, someone messed with the wrong person. Who did this?” Pixel mumbled. I looked up at Felix and Pixel.

“Here’s the plan, Pixel and Felix, extinguish that fire, please, and then move towards that direction. Jackie, Blade and I, would move before you. However in different angles. We’re splitting up. I’m going north. Jackie north-east. Blade north-west. Take down anyone you see as a threat. Don’t kill though, and that goes to you Blade.” I pointed towards the path that leads to the cliff to show them which direction.

“Whoever finds my sister texts location to everyone.”

“Got it.” They muttered before jogging away.

Lottie. We’re coming.

***

I heard the pounding footsteps, someone did hear me. I closed my eyes. Sucked in my breath. Not a freaken chance. I pulled out my pocket knife. Got ready.

“…Stay strong. Always have hope. You’re powerful, you’re not weak. Prove it to everyone, especially yourself. Prove it. For me…”

Prove it.