Chapter [1]

Hey guys? This book is in the process of being edited if the chapter number has [1] around the numbers it has been edited the first time... and feel free to point out mistakes that i might've missed out....

Thanks for clicking on this book hopefully it won't be a decision you regret....

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

                Prove it

It was the memory of him leaving that hurt the most. I remember him sneaking into my bedroom that night, like he usually does to check up on me, like what I assume every other ordinary older brother does. I remember his lips softly brushing against my forehead for a kiss, him wishing me a good night sleep and sweet dreams.

Him whispering 'I love you,' like every other night in the past six years, making sure to remind me that someone out here in this world still cares, and to never lose hope. Then he disappeared. Just like that. That was never supposed to happen. But I was too worn-out to complain or make a big fuss out of it that night. I couldn't place my finger on the reason why he did it, that particular night. It only cleared out the next morning.

I skipped happily to his room early in the morning, like what every 'normal' teenage girl does when she's excited and happy. It was Sunday, 25th of November, my day. My birthday and he always took me to special places on my birthday. However, when I walked into his room it was spotless and his bed was neatly done, almost as if it was never touched the night before.

I thought it most likely had to be a joke or a surprise. Maybe he woke up early to prepare or arrange something special for me.

It only excited me more.

Bad idea.

I jogged down the set of stairs, that I've been knocked out unconscious not too long ago by him. The ghost traces of blood forever printed in my mind. No one was awake; it was mostly always like that. He would probably be in bed not caring about anything, too drunk to care or better, out. Doing whatever he does these days when he's out.

My mother on the other hand would be on one of her 'business trips,' or so she says. I don't know what changed about her; she's just not the same person she used to be.

When I got to the kitchen, no one was around. On the counter laid a box with a pretty letter on top. I went to investigate and saw that the letter had my name written on it. I carried them to my room, left them on top of my bed, with the intentions that I'll open them right after I find my brother.

I carried on searching for my brother. With every room I searched and didn't find him in them, my heart slowly dropped and my breathing began to shallow as my airways began to tighten. I pulled out my inhaler and pushed down, taking in a deep breath to calm down and allow my airway to loosen up. The house was still and quiet, almost too quiet.

I was afraid; it didn't feel right. My heart felt betrayed, empty – he was nowhere to be found... He forgot and left me here all alone, to face these two monsters on my own while he lives his life and avoids the past...

I walked slowly back to my room trying to make sense and wrap my head about what was happening. Would he actually leave me alone or was this one of his pranks?

I made a face at myself. I knew I was being melodramatic. I wanted to believe I was just being melodramatic. I carefully picked up the letter that had 'Lottie,' the nickname he gave me, written in nice, neat, ropey handwriting. My hands shook; I couldn't bring myself to open it. I decided against it. I didn't want to open it. It wasn't good news; that's all I knew. That's all I needed to know for now.

Chapter [1]

The sweet sounds of the birds chirping early in the morning, the soothing sound of waves as they splash gently against the rocks, the melody of a mother singing her baby to sleep, the wind in the trees making them sway about and dance, the first blooming flower in spring all wonderful, all beautiful-

"WAKE UP! IT'S TIME FOR SCHOOL! GET UP NOW OR I SWEAR I'LL TELL YOUR FATHER TO GIVE YOU A BEATING AGAIN!" My so called 'mother' screams, someone must've woken up on not the wrong side of bed but the floor probably. I let out a groan and attempt to sit up. The pain in my back screams from the whipping my dad gave me yesterday, for completely no reason at all; he was drunk and he's still angry because my older brother left. He loved him so much, or so he says.

Everyone including me knows he only wanted to use him. He drowns his sorrows by drinking even more than he ever had and blames everything on me, venting and lashing out on me like I'm his walking punch bag.

I got up, my feet making contact with the rough old carpet covering the floor. I dragged my feet to the bathroom to have a warm shower. Although it hurt and stung, it still felt amazing against my raw back. Maybe one day I'll die, or run away from home. I don't think they'll care. I hate my brother for abandoning me with these two inhumane creatures.

With a sigh, I feel it all coming back to me. I close my eyes and the months began to move in reverse, slowly ticking backward, like the hands of a clock rotating in the wrong direction.

***

He was sneering. His words were slurring. Not only was he angry but he was also drunk. 'Even better,' were the sarcastic words running through my mind.

"You, come over here right now... You. Ungrateful animal." He growled lowly, pointing a filthy finger at me. The problem was I couldn't comprehend what I actually did, for him to be such a... I don't know, no words could really describe him. He was that bad. I wasn't sure what to do at that point. He stood in front of the stairway, so bolting to my room was not an option.

Before I could make a decision, a decision was already made for me. Not like I had any choice in it, as usual. I heard the unbuckling of his belt; I must've ignored it because what happened next caught me a little off guard.

He pulled his belt out in one swift motion the sound of it slipping through the loops and crackling in the air, made me flinch and twist around just in time, as the black leather made contact with my back.

First I was overpowered by numbness, followed by a slow growing itch which soon grew to a burning sensation, almost like touching a glowing hot metal. After the third blow my muscles were cramping as I shook uncontrollably, I curled into a foetal position. Trying to dull out the pain, I stayed there whimpering and groaning for what seemed like hours.

I could almost feel my boiling skin pulsate, it was throbbing and I wouldn't be shocked if heat and smoke was radiating of my back-

***

I got out of the shower, wrapped my towel around me and tried to walk as casually as I could towards my wardrobe to find something decent to wear to school. I decided on a loose grey sweatshirt, that wouldn't make too much contact with my raw skin, black tights and my Uggs boots only because I couldn't really bend down to change them.

I put my hair in a messy bun letting my fringes fall over my eyes. I grabbed my phone, my sketch book, inhaler and my school bag and rushed downstairs thinking about grabbing a muesli bar, but thought otherwise; I wasn't really hungry.

I pulled back my outstretched arm and was out the door in record time. I let out the breath that I didn't know I was holding and took uneasy steps towards school hoping no one sees the fresh new bruise on my cheekbone from last night's beating.

School was bad but nothing was as bad as being at home. Even if I had to face Veronica, staying home would never be an option. My life is a living hell but really what can I do. That's life right?