Chapter [5]

Chapter [5]

I was floating from one cloud to another, joyful and carefree. I stretched out my wings and glided along with the birds over the beautiful stretch of forest located right below me. Suddenly I felt a strong force pulling me into the darkest part of the woods. A too familiar chuckle echoed throughout the darkened forest. I looked around trying to find the source of the laughter, but I couldn't see anything. The chuckle belonged to Veronica. However it wasn't long before her chuckle subdued and was slowly replaced by my dad's slurring words which had enough venom in them to kill a human. At that moment I shut my eyes slowly counting to twenty trying to tame my racing heart. My last and only resort was to concentrate on my counting, shutting my eyes tightly in order to block off all those highly irritating noises trying to slither its way into the depth of my head.

I felt another force pulling me forward I left my eyes tightly shut. Just so I can avoid this. Finally the force halted. I felt the air gusting in my hair. I heard voices. They sounded familiar almost too familiar. I look over my shoulders only to see my brother's nine year old form talking with the three friends he supposedly made in a day.

If that was possible.

I looked down at myself and saw that I was in my denim shorts, stripy singlet and flip flops. I knew these clothing a little too well. I twisted to the front and say what I feared mostly after the 'incident.' Water. Lots and lots of water-

'Gabriella...'

Why is my brother calling me by my first name? He never calls me that. Only unless, I was in trouble, of course. But still, even then he would use my full name.

"Gabriella..." That's not even his voice. I looked over at my brother's friend; he had an evil grin stretched across his face. No not this again please-

"Gabriella!" Someone shook me hard. The sound of something trickling against rocks caught my eardrums. "Gabriella, wake up!" Why is it that I hear water?

Unless I actually was near water; which is really impossible because well... I loathe it with all my heart. My eyes flutter open and any hope of seeing my brother quickly vanished into thin air. Instead I was met with a new set of hazel, green eyes, full of concern and worry.

"Thank god, for a second I thought... I thought," he swallowed nervously. "I thought you were dead..."

I completely ignored him, I heard it again. Water but it was nearby. I stole a glance and searched my surrounding. I was indeed lying within reach of the lake. It obviously isn't the scene of the 'incident,' but water is water, and only three people know about my fears. My eyes widened as I felt a force pull me down under to where it all began-

I was returned back to that day, the day that the worst turned to something unforgettable. The day I was at the doors of my own death.

***

"Let's play a game!" Exclaimed one of his new friends eagerly. "What sort of game?" My brother asked curiously. "A really fun game," smirked another. I stood there waiting. Listening to the brief explanation the boys gave I think I got the game. It sounded rather exciting, but I did not know where this game was leading to, as I was six and still unaware. One out of the three boys took my brother away as the game suggested and as it was predicted to happen. The other two got a hold of my skipping rope and approached me slowly. I took a sturdy step back self-consciously, but they insured me it was just part of the game. Since my brother trusted them as friends, I let them tie my hands behind my back.

Suddenly, the boy that walked off with my brother came out from behind a tree trunk carrying a long stick. "Give me the prisoner or face my long sword of death!" The other two boys grabbed the closest branch of the forest floor. One went to have a pretend sword fight with the other. While the other boy, creepily approached me. The widest grin broke across his facial expression. My heart was thumping loudly, I knew everyone could hear it. "My father said that your dad is better off dead, and he told me not to hang around you or your stupid naïve brother! Why? Only because everyone knows you'd turn out to be just like your father!" I wanted to block my ears but my hands were tightly bounded.