Chapter 75

Harry's POV:

Louis' cries eventually transition into soft snores and I'm able to calm down enough to fall asleep myself.

My body is so desperate for sleep that I don't dream at all, nightmares included.

I wake up in an empty penthouse, with nothing but a used bowl, a messed bed, and the extra key card slid under the crack in the door to show that I did, in fact, have company last night. That hurts the worst, thinking that maybe we were beginning to work on things only to have him shut the door between us completely.

Actually, the note hurts the worse. 

You're right. I need to try and find something better. Don't wait on me. Please, don't wait.

I spend the day pushing through my watery eyes and packing my belongings into my dusty suitcase.

...

"Hey, what's up?" I adjust the phone to my ear and set it between my shoulder, my eyes glued to the London streets as they inch past me. It's crowded, but that's just the usual, and I scoot forward at a hesitant speed.

I haven't heard Katrina's voice in a while, and it brings a bit of ease to my tense shoulders.

Oh nothing much, just feeling like shit and wishing that I was on the phone with my ex instead of you...

"I just realized that I made a promise to you that I never owned up to." That response sounds better.

"And what's that again?" Her voice sounds lighter, softer, than the last time we spoke. It works for her. The hard shell she hides under doesn't do much to attract new people.

"You don't remember? Are you revealing a weakness to me, or am I hearing wrong?" There's teasing in my voice, and when I sneak a glance at myself in the mirror I'm met with a small smile.

She clears her throat but I know it's only to buy her time to think.

"You promised to get me into the workout area at 17Black. I remember. But in case you haven't noticed all of that is now ashes."

I curse as I lose focus on the road and nearly run into a small grey car in front of me.

"Well get ready because we're going to a gym."

...

"I had fun today." Katrina smiles wide as she unbuckles her seat belt, her breathing just now beginning to slow down from the rapid pace it was at ever since we left the gym. I'd like to say that I did good working out, but really Katrina kicked my ass. The tread mill, the jump ropes, she beat me at all of it. The only thing I could win at was the lifts, but that's only because her arms are the width of my wrists.

I would have had more fun with a specific someone that won't seem to leave my thoughts, but today was good to get my mind off of things. I needed today.

"Me too." I return her grin.

"So what are you going to do now? Career wise," she asks, pulling down the visor to access the mirror and check her ponytail. She looks good in ponytails, her hair thick and shiny.

I sigh and lay my head back on the head rest. My eyes scan the arrange of colorful flowers in her yard and absently imagine her in yard clothes.

"I'm leaving London today, actually." Her movements freeze and her eyebrows raise. I'm a bit surprised by my words too, but I've thought about all of this a lot while packing and declared that it will be the best thing for me. London is too tainted with Louis and it's not healthy.