Chapter 62

Hermione looked at Draco, who tried to fall asleep.
‘Stop staring, I can’t fall asleep with you staring at me.’ Draco said.
Hermione chuckled.
‘What are you thinking about?’ Draco asked opening his eyes.
Hermione gave him a small smile and lifted her hand, reaching to his face. She tucked a lock of hair back with the rest and then rested her hand on his cheek.
‘Just that I’m thankful.’ she said.
Draco raised his eyebrows.
‘Thankful for what?’ he asked placing his hand on hers.
‘Thankful for you.’ she said.
‘Thankful for the fact that you didn’t give up.’ she said.
‘I’ll never give up on you.’ Draco said giving her a kiss.
‘No but really, most people would’ve given up a long time ago, but you didn’t. You didn’t stop fighting for me, even though I didn’t even knew what was going on at first.’ Hermione said.
‘I’m just really grateful for that Draco.’ Hermione said.
‘Me too.’ Draco said.
‘If you would’ve given up, you wouldn’t be lying here with me.’ Hermione said stroking through his hair with the hand that had been resting on his cheek.
‘No you would probably be in my bed, because you would’ve fallen for my charms months ago.’ Draco smirked.
‘God Malfoy, you’re great at ruining moments, aren’t you?’ Hermione said rolling her eyes.
Draco chuckled.
‘Just kidding, just kidding.’ Draco said.
‘It’s weird though.’ Hermione said.
‘After all those years, we, out of all people, we end up together.’ Hermione said.
‘I know.’ Draco said.
‘But I can’t see myself with anyone else but you.’ Draco said.
A small smile appeared on Hermione’s face.
‘A few months ago I woke up and didn’t even know we were together.’ Hermione said.
‘That must’ve been hard for you.’ she said.
‘It was the hardest thing in the whole world. The way you looked at me when I came near you, the same disgusted look you gave me before everything. It hurt, but it made me fight even harder.’ Draco said.
‘You’re not really a quitter, are you?’ Hermione said smirking.
‘No.’ Draco laughed.
‘I have to admit, at some point it was quite annoying.’ Hermione said.
‘Really?’ Draco asked.
‘You kept going on and on about my memories.’ Hermione said.
‘I know I lost them and I want them back too, but there is a limit and you were way over that limit.’ Hermione said.
‘Oh, sorry I didn’t know.’ Draco said.
Hermione placed her hand on his cheek.
‘Don’t worry.’ Hermione said.
‘I’ll let you know when you’re annoying again from now on.’ Hermione said.
Draco laughed.
‘Lucky me.’ Draco said.
‘Lucky you.’ Hermione said softly, closing her eyes and drifting off in a peaceful slumber.

Hermione sat down next to Harry in the Great Hall after giving everyone a cheerful “good morning”.
‘So we were thinking about going to Hogsmeade this weekend.’ Ginny said.
‘Cool.’ Hermione said taking a bite from her toast with jelly.
Ginny rolled her eyes.
‘Hermione, would you like to come with us?’ Ginny said.
‘Oh yes sure.’ Hermione smiled.
‘Oh wait, I can’t, I promised Draco to help him with his patronus.’ Hermione said.
‘I thought he knew how to do that.’ Ron said.
‘No, he hasn’t been able to get his patronus.’ Hermione said.
‘Sure he hasn’t.’ Ginny said doing an eyebrow wiggle.
‘No! Really! You can ask him yourself.’ Hermione said.
Ginny laughed.
‘Girls, do you always have to have the girltalk when we’re around?’ Ron asked.
‘Yes, actually we do.’ Ginny said.
‘Why?’ Ron asked.
‘It just adds something.’ Ginny said.
Hermione laughed.
‘I’ll see if I can help him before the weekend.’ Hermione said.
‘Yeah.’ Ginny smiled.
‘But I can’t promise you anything!’ Hermione said.
‘Of course you can.’ Ginny said.
‘Draco can come too by the way, if he wants.’ Ginny said.
‘I’ll tell him.’ Hermione said.

Hermione walked into the common room and saw Draco already studying one of his books.
‘How’s it going?’ Hermione asked as she placed her bag next to the salon table which Draco was using for his books.
Draco looked up and smiled.
‘Hi.’ he said.
‘Hi.’ Hermione smiled and she sat down next to him.
‘It’s just not working.’ Draco sighed.
‘Ahw come on.’ Hermione said nudging him.
‘Ginny asked me if we wanted to go with them to Hogsmeade.’ Hermione said.
‘Sure.’ Draco said.
‘I said yes, but only if we were done here.’ Hermione said.
‘What are we waiting for then.’ Draco said.
‘Show me.’ she said.
Draco took in a deep breath and said “Expecto Patronum.” making a flick with his wand, but nothing happened.
‘You’re first of all doing the flick not correctly.’ Hermione said.
‘Here come stand.’ she said getting up.
Draco stood up and walked away from the couch, to have some more room. Hermione stopped next to him and showed him the flick he had to use.
‘Like this.’ she said.
Draco did what she had done and Hermione nodded smiling.
‘Good, good.’ she said.
‘Now a happy memory and say the magical words.’ she said.
Draco looked concentrated at his wand.
‘Draco, shut your eyes that can help.’ Hermione said.
Draco looked down at her and that’s when Hermione saw he had this kind of sadness washed over his face.
‘What’s wrong?’ Hermione asked.
‘I don’t think I’ll be able to do this.’ Draco said looking away.
‘Of course you can.’ Hermione said, placing her hand on his arm.
‘You don’t understand.’ he said.
‘What do you mean?’
‘Every time I try to think of something that makes me happy, a memory of something bad spoils everything.’ Draco said.
Hermione frowned.
‘Isn’t there one memory that could help?’ Hermione asked.
Draco shook his head. Hermione wrapped her arms around his waist and looked up at him. She felt his arm rest on her back and she smiled.
‘Close your eyes.’ she said softly.
‘I told you it won’t wo-‘ Draco started.
‘Just close your eyes.’ she said.
‘Hermione.’ Draco sighed.
‘Do you trust me?’ Hermione asked.
‘Yes of course.’ Draco said.
‘Then close your eyes.’ Hermione said.
Draco sighed and closed his eyes.
‘Now tell me what you’re thinking about.’ Hermione said.
‘It was snowing.’ Draco started.
‘That’s a good start.’ Hermione smiled.
Draco smiled, but didn’t open his eyes as he stroked her back in slow circles.
‘We went outside and a lot of Gryffindor students were having a snowball fight. You joined in and just looking at you made me happy, you were having so much fun. The child in you came up in you. You threw a snowball at me and that’s when I had to take revenge.’ Draco chuckled.
Hermione looked expectantly at her boyfriend, wondering what was coming next in the memory they didn’t share.
‘At the end we were covered in snow and couldn’t stop laughing. You let yourself fall down into a pile of snow and started to make a snow angel. You were so cute. Those rosy cheeks of the cold, your little red nose, your hair covered in snowflakes.’ Draco smiled.
Hermione raised her eyebrows.
‘That’s when I really realised that I had fallen for you, I had fallen in love with Hermione Granger.’ he said and the smile was even wider then it first was.
‘But then you hit your head and everything was gone.’ Draco said and the smile disappeared almost immediately.
‘Not everything was gone.’ Hermione said.
‘You’ve got those beautiful memories inside that handsome head of yours.’ she said, getting up on her toes and ,after having placed her hand in the nape of his neck, pulling him down so that she could give him a kiss on his cheek.
‘And who knows, maybe we’ll share those memories again, one day.’ she said.
‘And if not, we’ll just keep making new ones.’ Hermione said.
Draco opened his eyes and looked down at her.
‘Better ones.’ she added softly.
Draco leaned down and kissed her, placing his hand on her cheek.
‘Good idea.’ he said.
‘Now try it again, with the same or another memory.’ Hermione said.
Draco looked down at her.
‘Tutu, eyes closed Malfoy.’ she said.
Draco stood up straight again and closed his eyes again.
‘Erm.’ he said.
‘And try to not ruin it this time.’ Hermione said.
‘I think that one might have worked.’ she said.
Draco nodded.
‘And if you want you can say it out loud.’ she said.
‘I was downstairs, waiting on the end of the stairs. It was the night of the first masquerade ball.’ he told her.
Hermione smiled.
‘We weren’t together, but I couldn’t wait for you. Even though I had the most sexy date ever.’ Draco said.
Hermione raised her eyebrows.
‘Blaise Zabini.’ Draco said proudly as if he was the most popular girl in school and he was the chosen one.
Hermione chuckled.
‘Don’t laugh! You’re ruining it!’ Draco said.
‘Sorry.’
‘You’re forgiven, now where was I.’ Draco said.
‘Blaise Zabini.’ Hermione said.
‘Oh yeah, all right, thank you. But that’s when I saw you coming down the stairs, you looked breath taking! Just gorgeous. Unfortunately I wasn’t the guy who would be spending the evening with you. And I don’t think the guy you were going with knew how lucky he was. I would’ve given a lot to stand in his shoes at that moment.’
‘Doesn’t sound as a happy memory.’ Hermione said.
‘Yeah, that’s because of Ron.’ Draco shrugged.
‘Anything else?’ Hermione asked.
‘Sometimes when I’m in the library I see you read, hidden in the corner. You’ve got this habit you’re always doing when you’re reading. You’re always playing with your hair. Or when I wake up before you do, your hair spread across your pillow and you’re rolled up in the duvet like a burrito. Or when you’re taking a shower and you’re singing songs, I think they’re muggle ones because I have never heard them before. Or how you always straighten your cutlery before you use them, it’s cute. The fact that I’m still getting to know you even after all this time, learning what your little habits are, just the little things that make you, you.’ Draco said with a small smile.
Hermione looked up at him, tears almost spilling now. How could someone feel so much for her? How was that even possible? How could he know so much about her, how could he know things she didn’t even know about herself? Did he really love her that much? He had changed so much the past year. The change is incredible, how is that even possible?
Hermione looked at his face as he was still talking happily further about his happy memories. And  all those happy memories involved her.
‘I love you.’ Hermione said all of a sudden without thinking.
Draco immediately stopped talking and opened his eyes. He looked down at her with his eyebrows raised.
‘What?’ Draco whispered.
‘I love you.’

A/N:

Hi there dolls,
What did I see there? Was that an I love you? ;) 
I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to London tomorrow, so I won't be able to write for four days! :( I'll try to update as soon as I'm back, I promise!
I hope I have internet in the hotel :/ 
I wanted to go to the Harry Potter Studio Tour, but I can't because the friend I'm going with isn't a real fan of Harry Potter, I know, I know, how can you not! I don't understand it either, so now I have to wait for probably a whole year to go to the studio tour, but oh my god I want to go there! I want to see it so badly! 
Anyways, thank you so much for reading again and staying with me! There is something bad going to happen so prepare yourself for that! And I'll talk to you later :) Cheerio *waves*

Lots of love

xxc