Chapter 7

Hermione slowly opened her eyes the next morning, awakening from her deep, but short, slumber. She furrowed her eyebrows when she noticed warmth against her cheek and she heard... a heartbeat? Hermione carefully tilted her head up and she saw, to her surprise, she was lying on Draco's chest with her head. Hermione quickly jerked her head away and felt a headache crash in, making her slightly dizzy from her quick movements. She situated her head back on her own pillow and sighed. Why was Draco lying next to her? But just as she was asking herself this she recollected the events of the previous night. She frowned and replayed everything that happened and she started to feel ashamed of the way she reacted. She's been through far worse, why did she start bawling her eyes out? Was she scared Ron would do something to her? Hermione took in a dee breath before she widened her eyes as she realised she had asked Draco Malfoy to stay with her! Did she crash her head that hard against the wall? Hermione quickly got out of bed and walked towards the bathroom. She took a long shower, letting the warm water run over her head and down her back before wringing her hair out, stepping out of the shower, pulling her underwear on and walking up to the mirror. On both wrists were dark purple handprints visible. Hermione carefully touched the dark mark on her right wrist and winched when she felt the pain on her wrist underneath her touch. Did this really happen? Wasn't it just a nightmare? What if she dreamed Ron had done all of that but in reality it was Draco who did it....? That'd be realistic, right?
'Good morning.' Draco said all of a sudden, appearing in the doorway.
Hermione quickly grabbed her bathrobe and wrapped it around her body before turning to look at him.
'Are you okay?' he asked, concern clear on his face.
Hermione took in a deep breath, wanting to hit herself. What was she thinking? How could she even think of the possibility Draco would've hurt her at this point? He's been one of the nicest guys she knew lately.
'Not really.' she told him in all honesty.
Draco came up to her, even though she was standing in her underwear and bathrobe. She furrowed her eyebrows, feeling embarrassed to stand before him like this, so vulnerable.
'Let me see your arms.' Draco said, holding out his hand.
Hermione hesitated for a moment before sighing and pulling the bathrobe sleeve up to show him the bruises. Hermione could see he was taken aback by the side of the dark marks, but he quickly recovered himself.
'I think it might be better if you'd wear long sleeves for the upcoming weeks.' Draco said carefully.
Hermione nodded. 'Thank you for being there for me when I needed someone.'
'That's alright.' Draco said, giving her a small smile.
Hermione bit down on her lip, hesitating for a moment before stepping forward and wrapping her arms around Draco's neck, giving him a hug.
'Really though Draco, thank you. I don't know what would've happened if you weren't around.' she said quietly.
She felt Draco wrap his arms around her back and a small smile appeared on Hermione's face. To her surprise it felt good to have his arms around him, it felt safe. She felt a warm tingling start in her stomach and travel to her whole body. She felt butterflies starting to flutter in her stomach and that's when she knew she had to pull away, this wasn't right. She looked up and into his blue, grey eyes and found something in them as he stared down at her, but she couldn't put her finger on what it was that she saw in his eyes. She noticed her getting closer to him as he moved forward as well, but before their lips could touch she turned her head away, looking down at the ground.
'You can use the bathroom.' she said as she stepped back.
'Okay.' Draco said quietly.
Hermione gave him a small smile and walked back into her own room. She quickly got dressed and waited for Draco to be dressed in the common room, which took him a few minutes before he showed up in his bedroom doorway.
'Ready?' he asked.
Hermione nodded and walked with him out of the common room and into the hallway. They made their way downstairs towards the Great Hall, where Hermione took off to the Gryffindor table and seated herself next to Ginny, whereas Draco walked over to the Slytherin table and made himself comfortable next to Blaise Zabini. Hermione sighed and grabbed a piece of the sliced bread and the jam.
'Did you want to start planning the masquerade ball in detail today?' Ginny asked.
'Yes, the ball is planned to happen next week, so we don't have a lot of time to get everything done.' Hermione said.
Ginny nodded with a smile and started her breakfast just when Ron and Harry walked into the Great Hall and over to where Ginny and Hermione were seated. 'Good morning.' Ron said, granting his sister and girlfriend with a smile, as if nothing had happened the previous night. Hermione didn't dare to look up at him so she kept her head bent down, staring at her plate as both guys sat down opposite them. 'Morning.' Ginny grinned before she started talking on and on about the ball to Ron, giving him all the details. Hermione was far too distracted to even listen to what Ginny was saying.