Chapter 13

Draco stared out in front of him, his eyes fixed on the spot where Hermione had just been before she was pulled away from his view by Ron. He had to tell her, but he didn't know how. He had realised the previous night how much he actually liked her, but now that he was standing by himself in the empty corridor he knew, he had fallen for the girl he would never have thought was able to steal his heart. Draco had been so close to telling her what he felt for her, only to be interrupted by Ron Weasley. If he hadn't appeared in the corridor she would've known. Draco shook his head, trying to get it all out of his head. He shouldn't even think about telling her. He shouldn't even think about her in general. He had told himself they weren't right for each other, that it would be wrong, and he should stick to that. Draco sighed, brushing his hand through his hair before walking back into the Great Hall and over to the Slytherin table. 'What did Potter want?' Blaise asked after Draco had seated himself back down next to Goyle.
'Oh nothing.'
Blaise and Goyle stared at Draco with their eyebrows raised, but Draco chose to ignore them and lifted his cup up to his lips. 'Look who we've got there.' Blaise said. Draco looked up and followed Blaise's eyes, only to see Pansy walking up to them.
'Can't she just disappear.' Draco groaned.
'Apparently not.' Goyle laughed. 'Oh and before I forget, you two had chosen a great date for last night.'
'We know.' Draco and Blaise said in unison just as Pansy stopped and sat down next to Draco.
'Morning Draco.' Pansy said.
'Morning.' Blaise greeted, only to receive a glare from Pansy.
'What do you want Parkinson? I've got an headache and you're only making it worse.' Draco sighed.
'Perhaps I can take away the pain.' she said, leaning closer.
'You know what, I think you can.' Draco stated.
Blaise and Goyle both raised their eyebrows and Pansy looked rather surprised before a smile appeared on her face.
'By staying the hell away from me.' Draco said. Blaise and Goyle both burst out with laughter, receiving a deadly glare from Pansy. 'Shall we go?' Draco asked, getting up from his seat.
'Where to?' Pansy asked.
'See you later Parkinson.' Draco answered, walking with Goyle and Blaise out of the Great Hall.
'That girl knows how to push someone's buttons.' Draco muttered when they left the Great Hall.
'She talks about you non-stop man.' Blaise said.
'You're kidding.' Draco said.
'No, I'm serious. Whenever I try to get away from you and try to relax in the Slytherin common room I hear her talk about you. There's no escape.'
'Did you see her last night at the ball?' Draco asked.
Blaise and Goyle exchanged a look before turning back to Draco with a grin. 'You didn't?' Goyle asked.
'No, why? And what's so funny?' Draco asked.
'She was constantly dancing really close to you, her tongue down her date's throat, trying to get your attention.' Blaise told him laughing.
'You really didn't see that?' Goyle asked.
'No.' Draco said. 'And from what I hear it's better that way.'
'How could he have seen her.' Blaise said, making both Draco and Goyle turn to look at him with a confused expression on their faces.
'He was too busy staring at Granger all night.' Blaise said. 'She looked great, so I surely don't blame you.'
'Really? Granger? I didn't see her.'
'Yes and I know for a fact Draco noticed it, because he had his eyes on her for most of the night.'
Draco rolled his eyes, punching Blaise against the arm.

What had Draco been thinking? Why did Ron come and interrupt right at that moment? She'd have to ask Draco later to finish his sentence, because not knowing the end of it annoyed the hell out of her. And why didn't he want to forget about the previous night? Hermione was so caught up in her own thoughts that she had completely blocked the conversation that was going on in front of her.
'What do you think?' Ginny asked just as Hermione lifted her toast to her lips.
'Hermione.' Harry said.
Hermione snapped back to reality and looked at her best friends. 'What?'
'What do you think?' Ginny asked again.
'About what?' Hermione asked confused.
'I told you she wasn't listening.' Ginny said.
'What?' Hermione asked confused.
'There's nothing wrong, for the record.' Ron said beside her.
Hermione looked at Ginny, Harry and then Ron with a confused expression on her face.
'Are you sure Ronald?' Harry asked coldly.
Hermione widened her eyes at Harry and kicked him under the table. 'Ouch.' Harry hissed, looking up at Hermione, who slightly shook her head.
'Did I miss something?' Ron asked.
'You could say that.' Harry muttered.
'Harry!' Hermione exclaimed.
'Is it Malfoy?' Ron asked.
'Not even close.' Harry said.
'Harry Potter! You're coming with me, now!' Hermione said, getting up from her seat. Harry stared at Ron before turning to look at Hermione.
'Come. With. Me. Now.'
'Something wrong?' Ginny asked, furrowing her eyebrows.
'No.' Hermione said, glaring at Harry.
Harry sighed and finally got up from his seat before walking out of the Great Hall. When they reached the end of the Gryffindor table Hermione grabbed his wrist and pulled him out of the Great Hall, dragging him with her out of the castle, far away from the other students.
'Are you nuts?' Hermione exclaimed.
'I'm not the one who's nuts! He can't just act like nothing has happened!' Harry said sternly.
'He doesn't even know I've got bruises!' Hermione told him.
Harry widened his eyes at her and shook his head.
'How can't he know? He caused them!'
'Because he hasn't seen them. Draco used some kind of spell on my skin so the bruises wouldn't be visible for the eye. The spell disappears after a certain amount of time and apparently the spell had worn off before you saw the marks on my skin.'
'Haven't you told Ron this?' Harry asked.
'No.'
'Why not?'
'Because I didn't want him to hurt me again.'
'Hermione-' Harry sighed, placing his hand on her shoulder. 'Do you still love him?'
Hermione looked back up at Harry and replayed the question in her head. Did she still love Ron? Perhaps as a friend, but she wasn't sure whether she loved him more than you love a friend. Harry looked at her, patiently waiting for an answer as he noticed the troubled look on his best friend's face.
'I don't know.' Hermione said quietly.
'If you don't know, don't you think it might be better to break up with him?' Harry carefully suggested.
Hermione frowned. Did she want to break up with Ron?
'I mean, why would you share your life with someone like that whom you don't love as much as you should anymore. It happens Hermione. You can fall in love and you can fall out of love.' Harry said.
'Maybe you're right.' Hermione said after a moment of silence.
'I'm quite certain I'm right.'
Hermione gave him a small smile and nodded.
'Do you think you can break up with him?' Harry asked.
'Yes, I guess so.'
'Do you want me to be there with you when you do it?'
'No that's all right. I would appreciate it if you'd be nearby just in case he explodes.' Hermione said.
Harry nodded, pulling her in for a quick hug. 'You're going to be okay.' he said, pulling away again to look Hermione in the eyes.
'Thank you Harry, you're honestly a great friend.'
'Ready to go back?' Harry asked.
Hermione nodded and started to walk back towards the castle. 'Please forget what he did, I just want to get this over with and forget about it myself. To have everything as it was before all of this happened.' Hermione said.
'I'll do my best, but I can't make any promises.'
'That's all I'm asking for.' Hermione said. 'He didn't seem to be him whenever he hurt me. When I looked into his eyes he seemed so far away, he didn't appear to be himself.'
Harry shook his head. 'I would never have taken Ron as someone who would hurt someone, especially you.'
'I know, I don't know what has gotten into him.' Hermione sighed. 'Every time Draco is mentioned or in his line of sight he seems to shift from the Ron we know to a Ron I don't want to see ever again.'
Harry nodded as they entered the Great Hall once again. Hermione took in a deep breath and walked up to Ron, stopping next to him. 'Can I talk to you?'
Ron looked up. 'Yes, sure.' he nodded, getting up and following Hermione out into the corridor.
'Something wrong?' he asked.
'Uhm- well, actually, yes.' Hermione said, turning to face Ron.
'Did something happen?'
'I- uhm- I don't know.'
'You don't know what?'
'I don't know if- I feel like we'd better be off as friends.' Hermione carefully told him.
Ron slightly widened his eyes as he looked at her. 'Really?'
Hermione slowly nodded, keeping her eyes fixed on Ron, but he seemed to be himself.
'Are you breaking up with me?' Ron asked.
'I just feel like it's not right for both of us to stay together when either one or both don't feel the way they should.'
Ron stared at me, his face completely blank as he started to step closer. What was he going to do? Hermione slowly reached her hand to the pocket of her cloak, wrapping her fingers around her wand just in case he'd get violent again, in case she needed to protect herself.