Chapter 9

Draco ever so slowly woke up, but kept his eyes tightly closed. He noticed a warmth radiating from something, or someone, to his chest. He frowned, opening his eyes and letting out a sigh of relief when he saw it was Hermione and not Pansy Parkinson, only to recollect the happenings from the previous night. A small smile played at the corners of his lips, but he noticed and quickly recovered himself before Hermione would wake up and see him stupidly smiling down at her. He carefully pulled his arm back from her waist and turned to look at his clock. Breakfast had already begun and they had a lot to do that day for the masquerade ball so it would actually be possible to have one the next day. They'd have to speak to all the prefects to see if everything was going as planned, classes were cancelled and replaced for a visit to Hogsmeade so everyone would be able to get their gowns and suits for the ball, if they hadn't already asked their parents to send one up or gotten one send up to Hogwarts. They had been rather surprised when McGonagall told them she'd cancel the classes, telling them it was good for everyone to have a party and have some fun, especially after what happened the previous year. Hermione had then told her they would have a two minute silence for those who had fallen during the Wizarding War, remembering those who weren't able to be among them or be with their families. McGonagall had found this a thoughtful idea and was happy they had thought of this themselves.
'Hermione.'
Hermione didn't move and only let out a deep breath.
'Hermione?' Draco said slightly louder.
Hermione slowly opened her eyes and turned around to face Draco, only to widen her eyes when she saw him, seeming to be startled about something.
'Good morning.' Draco said softly.
'Morning.' Hermione said, recovering herself and giving him a small smile.
'Thank you.' Draco said.
'For what?'
'Staying when I asked you too.'
'Oh no problem, you've done the same for me.' she shrugged. 'And well- that's what- uhm- friends are for, isn't it?'
The corners of Draco's lips dropped, making him look away from Hermione to stare at the time. He hadn't expected it to feel like this when she had called him a friend. Wanted he to be more than friends? No, it couldn't be. He didn't like her, he wasn't falling for Hermione Granger. Friends, that was a good thing to be called by her, just a friend. Draco turned to face her again and nodded. 'I guess they are.' he said with a small smile.
'Crap! Breakfast has already begun!' she said, quickly getting out of the bed after having seen the time on Draco's clock.
'That's why I woke you.' Draco nodded.
'Oh- uhm thanks.' Hermione said as she rushed to the bathroom.
'Do you mind if I would go first?' she asked him before she had fully disappeared through the door.
'Not at all, be my guest.' he said, gesturing to the door.
Hermione smiled and closed the door behind her. He didn't hear the lock, but she knew he knew she was in the bathroom, it would be rather rude of him to go into the bathroom with that knowledge. Draco sighed, pushing himself out of bed and walking over to his wardrobe. He furrowed his eyebrows, deep in thought. He didn't like her, right? She has a boyfriend- who's horrible to her. And she is such an amazing person- no, he couldn't be falling for Hermione Granger, he couldn't be. Draco was interrupted from his thoughts when Hermione popped her head around the corner of the door. 'The bathroom is yours.'
'Okay.'
Draco quickly got dressed and walked out into the common room where Hermione had seated herself down in her armchair. 'Ready?' he asked.
Hermione turned around and immediately got up from her seat. 'Yes, come on, we're late.' she said, wrapping her fingers around Draco's wrist and pulling him after her out of the common room. 'Uh you can let go of my wrist now.' Draco said, looking down at her hand on his skin, making his skin underneath her touch heat up.
'Oh yes, right, sorry.' she said, quickly letting go as they walked further down the stairs and through the corridors towards the Great Hall.
'Good morning.' Blaise said when Draco had seated himself down next to him.
'Morning.'
Draco grabbed a piece of toast and looked up, his eyes darting over the Gryffindor table before they landed on Hermione, who just sat down next to Weasley and received a kiss from him on the cheek.
'Why are you ogling over Granger?'
'I'm not ogling, I was barely looking.'
'You were.' Goyle chorded in.
'I wasn't.'
'Oh look, he's getting a blush on his cheeks.' Blaise laughed, pressing his finger to Draco's left cheek.
'Shut it, the both of you.' Draco hissed.
Blaise and Goyle laughed, just as Pansy spotted them and started to make her way down the Slytherin table.
'Oh for Merlin's sake, please tell me she's not coming towards us.' Draco muttered.
'She's coming.' Blaise laughed.
Pansy placed her hand on his shoulder and sat down next to him. 'Good morning.' she smiled. 'How did you sleep.'
'What are you doing here Parkinson?' Draco asked groggily, taking a bite of his toast.
'I missed you here.' Pansy said, ignoring his comment.
'That's your own fault.' Draco answered. Pansy and Weasley hadn't been allowed to enter the Hospital Wing, or get close to it for that matter. He was glad McGonagall had demanded that, because he sure as hell hadn't been up for a visit of either of those. The only ones that had visited him were Blaise, Goyle and Hermione. Blaise had told him he had seen Potter and the Weasley girl come out of the Hospital Wing, but Draco was sure they were just visiting Hermione and not him. Draco looked up, noticing Goyle and Blaise were trying to hold their laughter in.
'Who are you guys taking to the ball?' Pansy asked.
'I'm going with her.'Goyle said, pointing at a Ravenclaw girl, who was eating her breakfast at the Ravenclaw table.
'Really? A Ravenclaw?' Pansy asked.
'Yes, problems with that?' Goyle asked the smile dropping from his face and an annoyed expression replacing it.
'Not if she's pureblood.'
'Good thing that's not important or any of your business.' Goyle told her coldly.
Pansy shrugged before turning to Draco.
'I didn't know you were allowed to go to the ball after what you did.' Blaise said.
'Well, I am.' she said. 'Many guys have already asked me to go with them, but I'm waiting for a special person to ask me.' she said, staring at the side of Draco's face.
'Oh really? I'm sure your imaginary boyfriend will ask you the minute you think of it.' Draco smiled.
'Do you think this special person is going to ask you?' Blaise asked, after Draco received an eye roll.
'I hope so.'
'And who might this person be?'
'Oh wow, is it already this late! I have to go and get my dress ready for tomorrow.' she answered before leaving the three boys alone again.
Blaise, Draco and Goyle laughed and finished their breakfast while discussing Goyle's mystery girl.
'Are you coming.' Draco asked.
'Yes, wait a second.' Blaise said, quickly drinking the last bit of his pumpkin juice.
'See you later mate.' Blaise said, turning to Goyle.
Goyle nodded as Blaise and Draco got up and left the Great Hall, making their way down the corridors and up the stairs to the classroom they used for prefect-meetings. Hermione was already seated there with Harry and Ginny, discussing something about the ball.
'Good morning.' Harry and Ginny said, looking up at them.
'Morning.' Draco and Blaise replied.
Draco sat down next to Hermione and Blaise took the chair next to him, before they waited for the other prefects to arrive so they could start the meeting.
'As you know the masquerade ball is happening tomorrow night.' Hermione started when everyone had arrived and seated down. 'Has everyone done what they were expected to do?'
Everyone nodded, except for Draco, even though he had asked Hermione to give him some kind of task, she had declined this offer, telling him the only thing he needed to think about was his recovery.
'Okay great.' Hermione smiled before going through the planning. They discussed at what time they'd start setting everything up and what everyone would be doing before the meeting had finished. 'Great job everyone.' Hermione said.
'I told you it was going to be all right.' Hermione told Draco, giving him a small smile.
'You were right.' Draco said. 'Everything sounds great.'
'Come on, I'm hungry.' Hermione said, gathering her parchments and placing them in her bag.
'Hungry?'
'Yep.'
Draco turned to look at the clock and saw lunch had finished half an hour ago. He nodded and got up before they left the classroom and made their way down to the kitchen.
'Hello Miss Granger.' Honey smiled, appearing in front of the two of them.
'Hey Honey, if you're not busy, could you perhaps get us some lunch?' Hermione asked with a small smile.
'Honey would be happy to make Miss Granger and Miss Granger's friend lunch!' Honey said before leaving, only to return with two plates a few minutes later. 'Thank you.' Hermione smiled, as Honey placed the plates in front of them on the table where they had seated themselves down when Honey had left. 'Honey helps Miss Granger with pleasure!' Honey smiled broadly.
Hermione asked Honey to sit with them while they ate and they talked with her. In the beginning Draco was slightly resistant towards Honey, but after a few minutes of hearing her talk to Hermione he started to participate in the conversation.
'They are so nice.' Hermione said when Honey left them to eat their lunch because she had a soup to prepare for dinner.
'The House elves?'
Hermione nodded.
'She seemed nice.' Draco said.
'They all are, it'd be so great if people would treat them decently instead of just ordering them around and thank them for what they do once in a while.'
'Hmm.' Draco nodded.
'People sometimes miss the ability to place themselves in someone else's shoes and that's such a pity.'
'They aren't humans, you know that right?'
'Who?'
'The House elves.'
'That doesn't mean you're allowed to treat them like garbage.' Hermione said, finishing her lunch.
'Ready to go?' she asked.
Draco nodded and got up from his seat.
'Have Miss Granger and Mister Malfoy finished Miss Granger's and Mister Malfoy's lunch?' Honey asked.
'Yes, thank you Honey, it was delicious.' Hermione smiled.
Honey nodded with a smile as she took the plates from the table.
'Thank you.' Draco said.
'Honey is happy to help.' Honey smiled.
Draco nodded and followed Hermione out of the kitchen, there's a first time for everything, he had never thanked an house elf.
'Shall we go back to our dormitory?' Hermione asked.
Draco nodded and walked up the stairs, only to stop in his track a moment later. 'Oh wait, I left my bag in the kitchen.' Draco said turning around and walking back to the kitchen where he grabbed his bag. Draco made his way back to the stairs, but stopped when he saw Ron pressing his lips against Hermione's. Draco furrowed his eyebrows as he turned around again and walked the other way, towards the exit of the castle. Draco quickly stepped out into the fresh, brisk air and took in a deep breath. It was cold and it was snowing for the first time since they had returned back to Hogwarts. Draco stayed outside for a while before walking back into the castle and making his way up the stairs towards the seventh floor.
'Time turner.' he muttered.
The portrait swung open and Draco stepped into the common room. Hermione was seated on the couch and when she had noticed Draco's arrival and looked up her eyes widened.
'Were you outside?' she asked.
'Hmm.' Draco murmured as he walked towards his room. Draco grabbed dry clothes, because the ones he was wearing were wet and pulled them on. He wasn't feeling like talking to Hermione, or to anyone else for that matter, so he grabbed his book, laid down on his bed and started to read the book for a second time, because he didn't have another nearby. A moment later someone knocked on the door before it slowly opened and Hermione appeared in the doorway, but Draco kept his eyes straight on his book.
'Something wrong?' Hermione asked.
'No.'
'Are you sure?'
Draco nodded without looking up as he read further.
'Haven't you already been through that one already?' she asked.
'Yes, something wrong with that?' Draco asked coldly.
'No, of course not. I read books more than ones as well, but I've got a book and I think you might like it.'
Draco kept his mouth shut and turned the page.
'Do you want to read it?' Hermione asked.
Draco stubbornly didn't answer once again, causing Hermione to sigh and close the door after leaving the room. Draco read on and felt a headache emerge, but he tried to ignore it and took in a deep breath just as his bedroom door opened once again. Draco looked up at Hermione, who stopped next to him, holding out a book for him to take.
'Here.' she said.
Draco didn't take it from her and shook his head as he turned back to his book.
'I don't know what has happened that made you act this way, but it's not-' she started, lowering her hand.
'It's not what?' Draco asked.
'You know what? Never mind.' she sighed, turning around and walking away.
Draco looked up at the closed door, only to notice something on his nightstand from the corner of his eye. Draco placed his bookmark between the pages and placed his book next to him on the bed to grab the book that was left on his nightstand. 'Romeo and Juliet.' he read. He had never heard of this book, nor seen it. Draco turned the book around and read the back before opening the book and starting to read. Two hours and Draco was interrupted during his reading session again.
'What?' Draco asked, his eyes still on the page in front of him.
Hermione opened the door for the third time and popped her head around the corner.
'It's time for dinner.'
Draco looked up and saw her looking at him with a goofy smile, but then he noticed she wasn't looking at him but at the book he was holding.
'And?' Draco asked, closing the book, keeping his thumb between the pages.
'Are you coming?' she asked.
'No.'
'Why not? You've got to eat.'
'I'm not hungry.'
'Sure.' Hermione sighed. 'Just put that book down and come with me.'
'No.' Draco said, looking up at her and seeing her roll her eyes at him.
'Please just come.'
'Why would I?'
'Because- because Zabini and Goyle are waiting for you.'
'I'm sure they'll be able to eat by themselves.'
'Because I get lost in the castle.'
'You? You get lost in this castle? I'm sure you do.' Draco said, letting out a silent chuckle, shaking his head at this silly attempt. Hermione shrugged laughing as she rolled her eyes once again.
'Okay perhaps not, but just come and eat.'
'Why do you want me to go and eat so badly? I can take care of myself.'
'Because Madam Pomfrey told me to keep an eye on you, so that's what I'm doing.'
'You're not obliged to tell her.' Draco said.
'Please come, please, please, please.'
'No.'
'Don't be such a baby and come or do you want me to drag you down to the Great Hall?'
'For Merlin's sake, I'm not hungry. Go to Weasley or something.' he said colder than he had intended it to be.
'If that's what you want.' she said, the smile fading from her face before she turned around and closed the door behind her.
Draco heard her walk away and within a few seconds it was silent on the other side of his bedroomdoor. He read further, only for his stomach to protest within a few minutes. Alright, maybe he was hungry. Draco placed his book on his nightstand and got up from his bed before walking through the common room towards the exit. He made his way downstairs to the Great Hall. He walked over to the Slytherin table where Blaise and Goyle were laughing about something and Pansy was talking with some so called friends at the end of the table. Draco sat down next to Blaise and greeted his friends before his eyes darted up at the Gryffindor table where they landed on Hermione's face, only to see she had a smirk plastered on her face as she looked back at him. Draco rolled his eyes, shaking his head as he turned to his plate.
'Where were you?' Blaise asked.
'I was reading a book.' Draco told him, grabbing a spoonful of mashed potatoes.
'If you say so.' Goyle remarked. 'So, who are you going with to the ball?'
'Nobody.'
'Why didn't you ask someone?' Blaise asked.
'Why didn't you?' Goyle asked.
'Because- I don't know.' Blaise shrugged.
'I don't know either, there is not really someone I'd want to go with.'
'Are you sure about that one?' Goyle asked.
'What do you mean?'
Both Blaise and Goyle started to laugh, shaking their heads before returning to their plates filled with food.
'What?' Draco asked.
'Nothing, I just think- never mind, I'm sure you'll find out sometime.' Blaise said.
'If you were suggesting Parkinson, that's not going to happen.'

Draco was seated in his room, his homework spread out in front of him on his desk. A few minutes past before he heard the portrait opening to let Hermione in. Draco stopped reading and listened, hearing Hermione hum a song he hadn't heard before. The humming disappeared within a moment as she walked into her bedroom and closed the door behind her. A few hours later and Draco had finished his homework and moved himself to his bed to read. Hermione knocked on his door before slowly opening it.
'Ready to make our rounds?' she asked.
Draco nodded, placing the book back on his nightstand.
'Or would you prefer me doing it on my own?' she asked.
'Why?'
'Because you need to rest.'
'No.'
Hermione sighed. 'I shouldn't have asked, I just should have done it on my own.' she muttered to herself.
'Whatever.' Draco said, passing her and hearing her follow him out of the common room.
'Lumos.' Draco muttered, the tip of his wand lighting up as Hermione did the same.
They quickly made their rounds, mostly in silence. Draco wasn't really up to talking, so for her to keep her mouth shut wasn't something he minded. After they returned to their common room they both went to their own room and changed their clothes. Draco walked into the bathroom, only to find Hermione in there, already brushing her teeth. Draco quickly brushed his in front of his sink before turning around and saying a 'Good night.'.
'Who are you going with to the ball?' she asked, making Draco stop in his track.
'Why are you asking?'
'I'm just wondering.'
'Nobody.' Draco answered.
'Why aren't you going with anyone?'
'Because I don't have that special person, like you do, to take to the ball.'
Hermione looked down at the ground for a moment before looking back up at him.
'Why aren't you going with Parkinson?' she asked.
'Because I don't like her and I'm certainly not going with her after what she has done.'
'She does like you.' Hermione offered.
'I don't care, I have found her to be very, extremely, annoying.'
'But didn't you two have something going on a while back?'
'Well, not anymore.' Draco said.
'Alright, if you say so.' Hermione shrugged.
'You don't believe me?' he asked, even though it was more of a statement than a question.
'She does constantly hang around your neck, touching you, I mean, just look at the way she acts around you.' Hermione said.
Draco frowned, looking at her, only to notice what must be some sort of jealousy on her face.
'That's one sided.'
Hermione didn't say anything, looking down at the ground.
'Good night.' Draco said, turning around again to continue his way to his room.
'Good night.' Hermione said quietly.
Draco laid down on his bed, trying to process the day. The conversations he had with Hermione go through his mind, only to be disturbed by the image of her kissing Weasley. The headache returned as he thinks of it again. He tried to shift his thoughts away from that moment, thinking of the snow and the ball the next evening before he slowly fell into a deep slumber.