Chapter 16

'So,' Draco started as he made his way into the common room at the end of yet another week at Hogwarts. Hermione looked up from her homework. 'what are you going to do today?' Draco finished.
'I'm going to my classes.' Hermione answered, raising her eyebrows at him.
'And what are your plans for the weekend?' he asked.
'I don't know? I guess I'll be making my homework.' she shrugged, looking back down at the book in front of her.
'Would you- perhaps, want to go- with me- uh- to Hogsmeade?' Draco asked.
Hermione looked back up at him and noticed Draco's cheeks had turned a slight pink shade.
'Oh, yes sure.' Hermione nodded, offering him a small smile. 'Who else will be joining us?'
Draco stared at her for a moment, not sure what to say. He had literally asked her out on a date and she thought he meant it in a friendly way?
'Oh- I don't know.' Draco answered after a moment of silence.
'Oh well, we'll see I guess and otherwise we'll just go together.' Hermione shrugged again with a small smile before turning back to her DADA homework. Draco trudged over to the armchair in front of the fire before letting himself fall back on it. His eyes were trained at the fire as thoughts started to rush through his head. Had he been wrong? Had his assumptions that she might've started to like him as well been wrong? Draco felt so stupid at this point. Hermione only wanted to be friends and he had been aiming for more than that, he had been hoping for more than that.
'Draco, shall we go down to get dinner?' Hermione asked all of a sudden, snapping Draco back to reality.
'Yes, sure.' Draco nodded, getting up from his seat. The two of them walked out of the common room and down the stairs. 'Do you have a lot of homework?' Draco asked, dreading the outstretching silence between the two of them.
'Not really, no. You?'
'No, just a few last things that I have to do and then I'm done.'
'Wouldn't you rather spend your precious time on homework, instead of going to Hogsmeade with me?' she asked.
'No, absolutely not. I could use doing something fun.' Draco said, offering her a small smile.
'Alright, I could help you if you want, with your homework.' Hermione offered.
'We'll see.'
They entered the Great Hall and walked in on an almost empty room. Hermione furrowed her eyebrows as she looked around. 'What time is it?'
'We missed dinner.' Draco sighed.
'Of course we did.' Hermione chuckled. 'I guess we'll have to get ourselves some food then.'
Draco nodded and followed Hermione down to the kitchen. When they entered the big room all the house elves looked up from their work to see who entered. 'Good evening Miss Granger, Mister Malfoy can Honey make something for you?' Honey asked.
'That would be lovely.' Hermione said kindly to the elf.
Hermione and Draco sat down opposite from one another at the table. Honey came back with food and placed it in front of them.
'Thank you.' Hermione said smiling.
'That is no problem Miss Granger.' Honey nodded.
'I like those elves, they're great creatures. I particularly liked Dobby a lot-' Hermione started, before stopping mid-sentence and looking down at her plate.
Draco looked up at her and noticed her expression had changed to a deep frown. Even though Hermione hadn't known Dobby the way Harry had, she had still liked the elf. He had been such a great and nice creature and if it weren't for him, they might not even have been able to leave the Malfoy Manor where they had been held hostage. The horrible time in the Malfoy Manor came rushing back to her and she felt like she was choking in some kind of way.
'Are you okay?' Draco asked, concern waving through his voice as he placed his hand over Hermione's that was lying motionless next to her plate.
'Yes, I'm fine.' she nodded, looking up at him.
Draco stared at her for a moment, searching her face, before slowly shaking his head. 'No, you're not.' he said, getting up from his seat and walking over to her side of the table. He sat himself down next to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pressing her closer to him. Hermione leaned her head on his shoulder and sighed. 'It's just- everything that has happened the past year- it was just horrible and so many lives have been lost because of it.' she said silently.
'I know.' Draco whispered.
'Does Miss Granger want a tissue from Honey?' Honey asked, appearing next to Hermione.
Draco looked down at Hermione's face and saw a silent tear roll down her cheek. 'Yes, thank you Honey.' Draco said, offering the elf a small smile. Honey nodded and disappeared before reappearing, holding a tissue in her hand. Draco took it and thanked her before handing it to Hermione. Hermione gave him a small smile and dried her cheek with it.