23

~

' Infinity

' Infinity. It's funny we have a word for that concept, but there's no way we can understand it. '

~

Bailey rested against Zach's side as they waited for Jess and Alex to round the corner, her eyes were half closed; fatigue attacking her body. Though as Zach moved to the side, they snapped open and a smile dressed her face when she saw Alex and Jess. She skipped forward, wrapping her arms around the boy.

'Happy birthday,' She cheered.

Alex chuckled lightly, 'Thankyou.'

'Wait, is it your birthday?' Zach asked teasingly as they walked toward him again.

They were all grinning as they rounded the corner, a huge banner hanging down from the roof of the hall; reaching to the top of lockers before it stopped.

'You guys got a banner made?' Alex asked in shock.

'It was a group project. I made the design, Clay ordered it online, and Zach and Bay put it up,' Jess rattled off.

'Wow, that's,' Alex chuckled, 'That's really, really nice, you guys.'

'Anything for our best friend,' Bailey smiled.

'Aw,' Bryce's voice came from behind them; 'Happy birthday, buddy.'

'Oh, sweet banner,' Scott complimented; 'Is your mum bringing cupcakes?'

'I hope she brings enough for the whole class,' Bryce ignored her.

'Maybe you'll get a new cane this year too, huh?' Scott joked.

'Yeh, and maybe some new friends, too.'

'Oh, fuck off, the both of you,' The Matthews girl snapped; 'Don't give me that look, Reed. At least he's got friends who give a shit.'

Scott looked guilty for a second as he met her eye, before looking away like a kicked puppy; following Bryce as he walked off. She didn't have anything against Scott, she thought he was genuinely a good person, but he could be a dick when he was around Bryce. By himself, he was an angel.

'Fuck you! You fucking rapist!' Alex yelled, causing everyone to go quiet.

Scott stopped and turned to look at them, but Bryce kept his back to them. The Reed boy shook his head, before he walked after Bryce again; the chatter in the hall starting again.

'Dude, shit like that doesn't do anybody any good,' Zach stated firmly as he turned to look at Alex.

'Yeah? Well, it felt good to me,' Alex snapped; 'Maybe if you'd stop defending him all the time.'

'When have I ever defended him?'

'Every day. Every day you hang around him and play baseball with him, you choose his side.'