Prologue

~

~

'Hey. It's Hannah, Hannah Baker. Alive and in stereo. No return engagements. No encore. And this time, absolutely no requests... So, settle in, grab a snack, because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to these tapes, you're one of the reasons why.'

Bailey Matthews had been at her best friend, Tony Padilla's, house when she first heard those words. The girl being the first to receive the tapes; even though she was at the end of them, she was the first in Hannah's list to be given them and was given very specific instructions for what was to happen to the tapes after her.

At first she was shocked to hear the dead girl's voice, her eyes had instantly met Tony's; the boy watching her carefully, making sure she wouldn't do anything. Before they flickered down to the Walkman, and back up to his. She didn't know what to think. But she knew whatever Hannah had planned, wasn't going to be nice.

She had paused the tape after hearing those words, standing before she quickly tucked the Walkman into her blue and yellow letterman jacket - the ones all the jocks wore at Liberty High School - and left without another word.

Slowly, she went through those tapes, one by one, listening carefully to Hannah's every word. She had almost finished them all by the next morning, and didn't go to school that day. Instead, she laid in her bed, looking up at the ceiling blankly, as she tried to comprehend what was to happen next as she placed the final tape into the Walkman, pressing play.

Though after all those stories she had heard, nothing could prepare her for the moment Hannah began her tape.

Not Justin's, or Jess'.
Nor Zach's, or Bryce's.

Tape 7, side B.

The final nail in the coffin, that is Hannah Baker's life.

It began with a story, but as Hannah spoke the dread began to settle in her stomach; making her feel physically sick. She knew the story, she remembered it like the back of her hand. It was the moment she had met Hannah Baker.

'So, I suppose it's time to introduce our final star, but I'll let you take a guess. She's the captain of the football team, a defensive player in the boys basketball team, and the only girl in Liberty High School who proudly calls herself a jock. Do you need another hint? I'm talking about the golden girl of Liberty High... Bailey Matthews, welcome to your tape.'