17

~

  ' When rumours spread, you can fight them or ignore them, but they never really go away

  ' When rumours spread, you can fight them or ignore them, but they never really go away. '

~

Bailey walked into the school, her bag hanging off one shoulder as she flicked her keys around her finger; hitting her palm then the back of her hand, over and over. She smiled at Ryan as she passed him, earning a wink in reply before her eyes landed on Jess. The girl stood stock still in the middle of the path, her gaze set on Bryce, his girlfriend, Chloe, and Monty; who were mucking around at the top of the stairs. She placed her hand lightly on Jess' shoulder, making the girl jump and snap her head around to look at her.

'Hey, you ok?' Bailey asked as she flickered her gaze to the trio briefly.

'Uh, yeh,' Jess forced a smile.

She cocked an eyebrow at her best friend, but didn't press her.

'Wanna go to our tree?' She smiled knowingly.

'Actually, that would be great right about now,' Jess nodded.

'Great. Let's go.'

The two girls wandered away from the main door of the school, heading down toward the oval in silence. As they reached their tree, they sat down; leaning their backs against the trunk.

'What happened before?' The Matthews girl asked.

'I think someone is trying to keep me quiet,' She replied.

'You're doing the trial?'

'Yeh.'

'How do you know?'

'Someone strung up a blow up sex doll in a noose at my front door with slut painted on it and tape across it's mouth.'

'Jesus. Some people are sick... Are you ok?'

'Yeh, kinda.'

Bailey nodded, looking over at her before sighing.

'How was yesterday? And don't lie,' She asked as she looked out across the school.

'I don't know... I'm still scared of him, Bay,' Jess replied.

'And you have every right to be. You're lucky though.'

'How?'

'You don't have to play on the same football team as him and act as though nothing had happened.'

'Should I do that?'

'No... Jess, I'm not going to lie. What happened will haunt you forever, but it's how you deal with it that's gonna help you get through it.'

'What do you mean?'

'I dealt with it by acting as though it didn't happen, trying to move on with my life and only crying behind closed doors in Drew's arms. You might get through it by painting, or writing, or cheerleading. It's different for everyone, but you have to find your way.'