11

~

' You are who you are, and you don't care

' You are who you are, and you don't care. '

~

Bailey watched as Clay stared at her with wide eyes, before he began walking away; making her stand quickly from the swing. She grabbed his bag from the ground and followed him, watching as he sat on the bench. He wrung his fingers together, with his head low for a moment before he looked up at her.

'How in the hell am I supposed to listen to this?' He asked.

'I think the answer is you put the headphones on, the cassette tape in, and you press play,' She replied.

'That is an asshole answer.'

'I don't know what else you want me to say, Jensen, it's true.'

'I can't be here. I can't listen here.'

'Come on, I've got my car. I'll take you to see Tony.'

The boy stood immediately as she turned away, his bag still in hand. She walked up the small incline to her car, unlocking it before she slid into the drivers seat; waiting for Clay to get in. She pulled her phone out and sent Tony a text, asking where he was, before placing it into the cup holder beside her. Bailey didn't look up as Clay got into the car, before she drove out onto the street and away from the park.

She glanced at her phone as it buzzed, a text from Tony popping up on the screen before she picked it up and read it properly. Out of the corner of her eye, she looked at Clay who had his head sitting low with his head phones on. She sighed before placing her phone back down, focusing on the road ahead; trying not to fidget in the deafening silence that was in place. The girl turned her wheel as she went around the corner, jumping slightly when Clay slammed his headphones down.

'Easy? Is she kidding me? I was shitting myself,' He exclaimed.

'Okay,' She muttered.

'But she's not telling the truth about the way things happened.'

'She's telling her truth.'

'Why do you always act like you know?'

'Because I do. From the tapes, I know her truth.'

'So, why do you have to be here, knowing?'

'Cause I don't know what your truth is, Jensen, and neither does Tony. And we don't know what's gonna happen when you find out hers.'

The conversation was cut off as Clay's phone began to ring that same annoying tone from the rock climb, making him sigh as he looked at the caller I.D. He hesitated for a few moments, before he answered the call and raised the phone to his ear.

'Hey, Mom,' He stated.

'Hi, Clay, it's Mom,' She heard Clay's mum say through the phone.

'Yeah, I just said that.'