chapter fifteen

I am so dead.

The darkness covers us both, but this doesn’t mean that my mother cannot feel that there are three people in my room, instead of two. Mentally thanking Harry for turning off the phone, my finger presses on his nose instead of his lips to keep him quiet. I feel him tense and freeze, holding his breath.

Now you realise that everything’s not all fun and games, Harry.

 “Are you asleep?” She whispers and it startles the fact that she’s near the bed.

 At least she didn’t hear me talking with the priest right here.

Thinking of a way to get her out – before Harry holds his breath half to death, I quickly stand up with phone in hands to give it to her.

“Y-yeah, yeah, do you need your phone back? I’m done using it, it was a quick read.” A nervous chuckle escapes my lips when she doesn’t answer for few seconds. That’s when I start thinking she felt the tense air and noticed my nerves.

“You sure? I was going to call the deacon before I go to sleep,” she takes a pause when she touches my hand and grabs the phone, “forgot to tell you he called me this morning to remind you about the Nun Camp that you should go to.”

“I’ll think about it.” I abruptly reply.

“Alright,” she unsurely says and I let out a sigh when I hear her footsteps leaving my room and the door close.

“Being blind isn’t easy.” I whisper to myself hoping the power comes back by tomorrow. I sit back on the bed, “You need to leave, like… right now.”

Harry doesn’t answer.

“How did you know people call me H?”

“What?”

“Some people in the Mafia don’t call me Harry, a few do, but my assassin name is H.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“You know if you tried to protect me from your mother, or the other way around, you gave her my assassin name. If the police are looking for me, they’re looking for H… H Milward”

“I… I seriously didn’t need to know that,” I rub my forehead with my fingers, “but you sure need to leave my house.”

“I can’t. It’s thundering. Tell you this, I’ll sleep in the bathtub and leave early in the morning before you two wake up.”

“In the bathtub,” I emphasize strictly and I feel the bed dip when he sits up, then he leaves the bed.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow in the afternoon. Don’t avoid me.”

I nod even though he can’t see me.

When the bathroom door closes, I wander around the room hoping he didn’t lie and still in my room. I change to my pajamas rather quickly and knock onto my bathroom door, he opens the door for me and I only tell him I’ll be washing my mouth, he doesn’t even talk after that. It was like he wasn’t there.

When I lie in bed, I only stare where the bathroom door is supposed to be. I nervously shift, feeling quite guilty. It’s not like he is sleeping on my bed, right? It’s not a sin, I guess. Sin is, leaving a person sleep on a bathtub – without a pillow and a blanket. That’s just plain rude, but I can’t do anything more than letting him stay here without my mother knowing.

-

“This can’t be happening!”

I sit up alarmed in bed when I hear my mother shouting downstairs. I get out of bed just to encounter with the duvet and face plant the floor. The sun raise illuminates my room and I get up to check the clock placed on the nightstand. It’s seven in the morning. The power is back on and I open the curtains to see that the sky is normal, like nothing happened last night.