chapter one

"Hurry up, virgin Mary."

"That's not my name!"

On a daily basis, I have to confront this type of situations. People everywhere would compare me to the virgin. Long skirts, sneakers, sleeve shirts, and a cross necklace, those are my usual outfits. I'm proud of it.

At school, I would hear that every day in the corridor, in the lunchroom, everywhere. They never bother to ask my name. I'm a loner, but I understand, none of them would want to befriend me. They decide and rather push me around, bully or lock me in the men's gym showers - while the boys are showering.

"I don't care. Can you not see the line you're holding up?" The same male voice rushes me while I desperately look for my wallet inside my black purse. As I roam my hand inside, strands of my hair falls to my eyes, so the struggle to find it is real.

The basket is full with few school supplies that I need for my coursework. To convince my mother that I was coming here in a late night was hard. Her over protectiveness can get out of hand sometimes. However, she never agreed, but it's my responsibility anyways, and I think I'm old enough to do my things by myself.

"Found it." I tell the cashier, sheepishly. She smiles patiently as I take my credit card out. The brunette sticks out her hand to hold it, but she takes a step back as she looks behind me, possibly at the crystal door.

The bell goes off, letting us know that someone entered the store. When I curiously look behind me, my shoulders raise and my eyes widen. Men dressed in black, most likely robbers, enter the store with guns in their hands.

"I want everyone with their hands up where I can see them," One out of three shouts.

They're masked, tall, and very scary. I look at the line of people behind me to see if they're hearing and seeing the same things as I am. They are, and they're doing exactly what they're demanding us to do.

I gasp and freeze when I hear one of them step closer to me; I can feel a gun pressing on my back and I'm quietly muttering Oh my God repeatedly. A hot breath in my ear sends chills down my spine. My breath hitches as he begins to talk.

"Did I make myself clear?"

I shut my eyes and raise my hands, as he wanted to. I don't feel the gun pressed anymore. I'm still aware that he is close to me, but this time at my side. He's staring at the cashier.

The cashier has her arms up and they're shaking just like mine. I can feel my blood go down from my hands to my upper arms. They're going numb.

"Come on man, hurry up. I have stuff to do." One of his companions says with a low desperate voice, while the other wanders the little store.

I gasp when the one next to me jumps over the counter and tries to open the cash register. He points her with the gun as he shouts for her to give him the keys.

I bite my bottom lip as I desperately wish to disappear from this store. I could hear fainting sobs and one of them shouts at them to shut up.

My hands are lower and I don't force myself to raise them again. They're numb.

"H-Here..." She shuts her eyes as her hand makes contact with his hand. He holds the keys instantly, unlocking the cash register in seconds. She looks at me and then glances at the telephone in the counter. She looks back at me and nods towards the telephone. I get the message, but I'm so not risking my life.

However, I risk it in another way.

"You don't really need to do that." I blurt out. "Do you really think is the best thing to do?" I force a toothy smile.