chapter three

I can't help but push the plate forward after I'm served. The waiter looks at me confused, and then to Jasper who abruptly asks him to leave. I give the waiter an apologetic look before I turn to Jasper who is now eating, despising the fact that I pushed the plate almost all the way to his side. I hide my fingers under the table as I stare around the expensive restaurant, landing my eyes on some people who are conversing and laughing, having a great time.

Then there's us...

I gaze back to Jasper who is now staring at the table while he eats. His eyebrow twitches and he glances at me: it's like he is sensing that I'm staring at him.

I lick my bottom lip before I speak.

"I could leave right now; it's not that far a walk."

I feel bad with myself for not being that kind of person who's outgoing. He seems to find me annoying already. I shift uncomfortably in the seat and curl my fingers.

"You wouldn't leave." He immediately replies, his eyes on his food, not glancing at me, not even once after he spoke.

"Give me your keys," I tell him and he raises an eyebrow, meeting my eyes with his as he presses his back on the chair.

"No," He grabs the napkin to wipe his lips, "I don't get what's your problem. Your attitude is making me lose my appetite." He throws the napkin on the table.

"I want my schoolbag." I tell him and he shakes his head.

"I don't want you to leave, Flo." He says and I sigh, cracking my knuckles under the table.

"You started to ignore me and you're acting like if I annoy you," I bring my open hand towards him, "Give me the keys if you want me to leave so bad."

"I'm just trying to get to know you but," He sighs, "There are some things going inside my head. I wish you could understand."

"I can understand if you tell me what's going on or who came here a few moments ago. We can be friends."

You sound needy, you better stop.

"Well, we actually can't." Jasper spits, making my mouth drop by his sudden words. I stay silent as I watch him take his keys off his pocket and drop it to the other side of the table; I look down at them and back at him.

My fingers tremble in their way to pick the keys up. He crosses his arms against his chest as his dark stare burns my body and I don't spend more than a second sitting here.

I stand up and walk quickly towards the exit. I dodge a waiter, the trays of food fall on top of me. The hot, smelling chili stains my shirt and runs down my hair. A few people turn their face to look at me but I run outside, pulling my legs towards the parking lot.

After getting my schoolbag, I close the car door.

Please God, give me the strength and patience so I don't destroy his car.

I walk back into the restaurant, ignoring everyone's look. I slam the keys on the table and Jasper looks at me, his eyes roams my clothes and my hair and he opens his mouth, but he doesn't say anything.

-

When I arrived home, it was already nighttime. I stand on the doorstep as I press my forehead against the wooden door. I grab the doorknob and twist it, pulling it towards me ever so slowly just to be sure my mum isn't near me.

I would cry for being somehow - humiliated like this, but I'm used to be a klutz and for being pushed away like Jasper did. I sigh and shake my head before I proceed upstairs. I don't see any sight of my mother in the house. The power is out and I do, in fact, hate the darkness.