chapter fifty two

It's my turn today to close the restaurant, so now I find myself alone in the empty place. I wipe the last tables as I listen to the radio, hearing more news about the so storm coming tonight. It's starting to thunder, and rain, I already yelped by seeing the lightening. Harry would pick me up any time now.

I make sure everything is neat and clean before I turn off the radio and sit down tapping my fingers against the table. All I hear is the thunder clapping and I glance at the clock; it's been twenty minutes since I called Harry to pick me up from the restaurant phone.

It's been a month since the incident with Desmond Styles, and Harry's been acting weird. I think he's traumatized by seeing his dad be killed like that even though he wasn't a great person. He zones out a lot, and he hugs me while we sleep and never let's go of me like a scared five year old. He sometimes wakes up screaming, but he doesn't remember what he dreamt.

I stare at the crystal door, watching the cars on the street speed despite the slippery road. There's a lightening and the power goes off, but returns quickly and I see someone standing in front of the door, staring at me. And it's not Harry, and I stand to walk to him and say the restaurant is closed, but the power goes off and returns after five seconds. The person isn't there anymore.

I run toward the phone and dial Harry's number. He doesn't answer and I chew my bottom lip. I call again, "Pick up, pick up, pick up," It's getting darker and creepy. I grab the keys and an umbrella one of my co-workers left and open it. I lock the restaurant and gasp when the wind try to blow away the umbrella.

I can't barely see and I'm still get wet because the wind brings the rain forward. A car passes into a puddle and I get soaked. I let go of the umbrella as I slip down on the sidewalk. Tonight is not a great night. There's no one walking in the sidewalk and I can't see if there's a taxi passing by.

I turn to run back to the restaurant, but a lack figure is behind me and my heart skips a beat. I take a step backward and he just leans down to grab the umbrella. I hear him laugh lowly and deeply. The man takes a step forward and remove my wet hair from my face.

"Harry?" I ask.

No answer. There's a lightening. It lights up our surrounding and I take that as a chance to see his face. It works, and I scream. He disappears and leaves the umbrella on the ground and I grab it before it flies away. A car stops next to me, and I hear the door open.

"Flo?" Harry asks, concerned. "What are you doing out here?"

I stare at the distance, trembling, but not because it was cold, but because I'm afraid.

"Kemyss?" I'm suddenly pulled under a bigger umbrella, "Speak to me."

"Jasper."

"What?" He asks.

"I saw Jasper. He was in front of me." I meet his eyes in terror, he knits his eyebrows and he opens his mouth to say something, but I stop him. "I'm not crazy. He was there in front of me. Harry, he's alive. You didn't kill him."

"We're going to therapy." He states as he helps get in the car and I watch him get in the car. He throws the umbrellas in the backseat and he looks at me. "We've gone officially crazy with all this shit that happened to us."

"No, no, I'm not going crazy. He was really there."

"Floella, we're crazy. I don't want to hear you talk about it. I understand, we've seen people die in front of us and the things that has happened have been traumatizing, now you're imagining things and we're going to therapy." He starts driving.

"Stop the car!" I shout.

"Why?"

"I'm not going to be treated as if I'm crazy!"

"But you are!" He glances at me, "Fuck, Flo. You have those breakdowns when you start screaming thinking you're going to be killed and you start scratching your face, of course this is affecting you somehow. It's okay. You're safe with me. Everything was over long ago. Relax."

"You didn't kill Jasper." I whisper. "You didn't."

"You're going to drive me insane." He sighs.

"Oh Just and Holy Judge, Blessed Son of the Virgin Mary, let my body be calm and my blood be washed so that wherever I may go, the hands of my Lord Jesus Christ be in front of me. That of St. Andrew before and after me..." I start praying and Harry groans turning up the volume, but that doesn't keep me from praying louder.

He stop in front of the Mansion and I run inside. I get into the bedroom and wait for him to park the car in the garage. I lie down, and shut my eyes as I grab my head. The thunderclaps are getting louder than my thoughts and I can't seem to calm down. Jasper is alive and he's going to kill us.

The door swings open and Harry puts the umbrella behind the door and he takes off his coat, "Guess the storm will be our romantic music as we fuck tonight. Oh wait, we won't fuck tonight." He sarcastically says and grabs a box of cigarette from the nightstand and in less than ten seconds, he starts smoking.

"If I'm not a nun, then I will at least wait to lose my virginity after marriage."

"But I'm not going to marry you." He says and I shrug, "Baby. You're killing me."

"I'm going to shower before I get sick." I sigh.

"Come on, baby. Please your boyfriend."

"Oh, so we're a couple?"

"We live together?" He says matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, maybe not for long."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Hm, Jasper is out there somewhere planning to kill us and you only care about sex!"

"I killed Jasper! The guy is dead; his soul is burning in hell, Flo!"

"Come on, Harry. I'm not crazy."

"I'm sorry," he sighs, "I'm sorry I brought you to all this madness and now you're the way that you are-"

"Oh, my God! Just forget it!"

I walk into the bathroom and start unfastening the buttons from my shirt and stand in front of the mirror to look at my reflection. When my eyes land on the mirror, there's something, I didn't expect to see.