Chapter 42

Thankfully the demon child that is Nessie Cullen didn't slaughter the whole town as we had feared, but now the Volturri is after the Cullen family. About one week from now, the Volturri are supposed to show up for some massive fight. The whole situation has the boys all on edge, and even Christmas being in three days can't seem to calm them down.

It's been a few months since my surgery and I'm well on my way to recovery. My prosthetic should be ready to go shortly after Christmas, so I should be walking again before long.

"Aunt Dessy," Claire yelled for me from downstairs. I'd been in my room finishing up my homework. We were on Christmas break for the next two weeks, so I decided to finish my work now and not have to worry about it.

"Claire, inside voice," Quil said. "She's doing her homework. She'll be done soon."

"Wanna watch movie," Claire pouted. I giggled at her and returned my homework to my bag. I headed downstairs on my crutches and Claire was waiting for me at the bottom of the steps.

"Hey Claire-bear," I said, smiling down at her.

"Aunt Dessy, movie," she said.

"Claire, shh," Quil said.

"Boo you, never mind I can't finish that quote in front of Claire," I said, smiling at Quilas we headed into the kitchen. He was sitting at the table eating a muffin,and he looked exhausted.

"Boo you whore," Claire said, causing us both to look at her shocked.

"Claire, where on Earth did you learn to talk like that?" I asked.

"Mommy," she said. I knew Melody was dumb, but I didn't think she was that dumb.

"Are you," Quil was fuming.

"Quil, go," I said, shooting him a glare.

"Quilly," Claire whined.

"I'm not angry with you Claire-Bear," Quil said, picking her up and holding her.

"What's going on in here? I could hear the yelling as I ran up," Paul asked, walking in.

"Oh, um, Melody and I need to have a talk. She can not keep talking around Claire the way she does," I said.

"I see," he said. "We still on for that Christmas movie night?"

"So long as we watch The Tangerine Bear," I said.

"Now I see why you're allowing Claire to be there," Quil said.

"Quil, you can join us if you like," I said.

"I need some sleep or I would," he said. "Thank you though."

"Do you want a ride home?" Paul asked.

"No, I'm just going to Grandpas," he said.

"Alright," Paul said. He took Claire from Quil and Quil left. Paul and I headed into the living room and set up the movie. Paul sat down and pulled me into his chest before Claire curled up on my lap.

The three of us watched the first movie, and it made Claire fall asleep. Paul carried her up stairs and put her to bed. He returned and turned the TV onto Hallmark so we could watch whatever Christmas movie was on.

"How are you beautiful?" Paul asked, pulling me into his chest.

"Good now," I said, leaning back just enough to have the space to press our lips together.

"What time did Sam say him and Em would be home?" Paul asked. I glanced at the clock under the TV and saw that it was already 8:30.

"About an hour or so," I said.

"We've got time," he wiggled his eyebrows at me.

"Not happening Paul," I said.

"I was joking, calm down," he said, kissing the top of my head.

"I know," I said, rolling my eyes at him. He held me against his chest, his arms almost creating a cage around me. I enjoyed the security of his arms though. I smiled softly and settled into his body as we watched the typical love story unfold on the TV.