Chapter 52

"Destiny," Sam said, shaking my shoulder slightly. "Dest, wake up and get Paul up please."

"Yeah, Sam, I'm up," I said, struggling to sit up since Paul still had his arms around me. "I got Paul too."

"Thank you Destiny," he said. I nodded. Sam left the room, leaving the door open and allowing a square of light to pour into the room.

"Paul, baby," I said, placing my hand on his cheek gently. His hand moved to cover mine so I knew he was awake.

"I know you don't want to but you've gotta get up, babe," I said. I leaned down to kiss his head, and his eyes finally opened.

"I'm really happy it's you I get to wake up to now and not Sam," he said.

"Good, but Sam had to wake me up," I said.

"I'll make it up to you once we're married," he said.

"Too early Paul," I said.

"I know," he said, sitting up and wiping the sleep from his eyes.

"Come on," he said. "I'll carry ya."

"Thanks, babe," I said, standing up and hopping onto his back.

"Anything for you," he said before walking downstairs and setting me down by the table. He sat me down before taking a seat at the table and pulling me into his lap. He grabbed a muffin and began eating it slowly.

"Want a bite?" He asked, holding the muffin up in front of me. I took a small bite of the muffin before he rubbed my back as if I was a child sitting in his lap and not his girlfriend.

"Babygirl," Paul said quietly as he placed the muffin paper on the table. Claire began crying upstairs, causing Quil to immediately jump to his feet and run to the toddler. Sam had told him not to tip her off to anything bad, so he didn't have a chance to say goodbye; but, he was definitely taking this chance to comfort her one last time before the fight.

"Hmm,"  I hummed instead of speaking.

"Promise me you'll eat today," he said.

"Of course I will babe. Just as soon as you're safely home," I said.

"Babe, no," he said. "You have to eat. You've gotta take care of yourself."

"Don't talk like that Paul," I said. "You sound like you're not coming back and I'm not okay with that. You have to come home to me."

"Babe, I'm going to do everything in my power to come back to you. I promise," he said, kissing my temple.

"You better," I said, kissing his cheek. He pressed his hand to my cheek, turning my head slightly to press our lips together. It only lasted a second, but it meant more than any of the other kisses we'd shared. We had no way of knowing if it was our last kiss or not, so we made sure to make it special.

"Alright guys," Sam said. I stood up, giving Paul the opportunity to as well. Paul hesitated for a minute before Sam glared at him and he stood up.

"Goodbye, Paul," I said. "I love you. Be careful."

"I love you too Destiny. Always am. I'll see you tonight. You're gonna eat today, right?" Paul said.

"Just as soon as you're home," I said. He rolled his eyes but kissed my forehead quickly since Sam was barking orders about leaving on time.

They all left, leaving us with an anxious feeling in the air. Alex and I moved from the table to the couch and ended up watching some dumb movie until we both fell back into a restless sleep.