Chapter 9

“The Quileute have been a small tribe since the beginning,” Billy Black started. The way he spoke drew me into the stories. It reminded me of the way my own father used to tell the stories of our tribe.

As Billy finished the story of the third wife Paul pulled me into his chest more before whispering in my ear, “Walk with me?”

He stood up and led me into the woods, and I saw Embry pulling my brother into the woods also. I shivered slightly as the cool wind hit my bare legs.

“Why didn't you wear pants?” Paul asked, stopping and looking at me.

“Cause we were sitting by a fire. I was plenty warm enough,” I said.

“You are so stubborn,” he said, kissing my forehead.

“Why'd we come out here?” I asked. He continued to hold me in his arms, as if he was trying to absorb the moment entirely.

“So, you have to promise me that you're not going to freak out and start yelling at me or something,” he said.

“I promise,” I said. He stepped back, and lifted my chin gently so our eyes met. God, he looked so perfect.

“So the stories are all true,” he said.

“You expect me to believe you turn into a giant wolf?” I asked, scoffing at him.

“Will you let me finish?” He asked.

“Please continue with your fantasy stories,” I said.

He rolled his eyes at me before saying, “And, I turn into a giant wolf.”

“Show me,” I said.

“Fine I will,” he said, stripping his shorts off and phasing. I audibly gasped and stepped backwards as he growled. He quickly realized what he'd done and laid down. I walked up to him and pet his head gently. He nuzzled into my hand before licking it.

“You're gross,” I said, laughing slightly at the contact. I stepped back slightly and his wolf whined. “Dude, chill. It's just so you can phased back.”

He phased back and quickly pulled his shorts on. “Not fair. Now you've seen me naked.”

“Like you didn't want me too,” I said, stepping closer to his body heat.

“Stop it, you're distracting me,” he said.

“Oh, sorry, should I cover my legs?” I asked sarcastically.

“You're adorable,” he said. “So, there's this thing, imprinting, that happens when a wolf finds his soulmate. It's no longer gravity holding him to the Earth, it's her. He'd do anything, be anything for her. Whatever she needs, best friend, boyfriend, protector. And,” he paused, gently lifting my chin so our eyes met. “I imprinted on you.”

“Really?” I asked. “Why would you want someone without a leg?”

“The wolf wants what he wants,” Paul said. “And, don't talk about yourself so negatively. I think you're so beautiful and perfect.”

He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine, causing electricity to dance across them.

“I love you so much. It kills me to hear anyone talk about you like that. Especially you,” he said, kissing my nose to punctuate his statement.

“I love you too, Paul,” I said.

“Sam said if you accepted I might be able to start staying with you,” he said, leaning down and kissing my neck.

“Not tonight,” I mumbled, but knew he heard me.

“I should probably tell you that I know about Kyle,” he said. “When I imprinted I saw everything about our lives together, and bits and pieces of your past.”

“Kyle was a dick. I'd rather not talk about him right now,” I said, kissing Paul's lips gently.

“Sam's starting to wonder where we are,” Paul said.

“How?” I asked.

“I'm the Beta. Our mind link's a little stronger than everyone else's,” he explained.

“Carry me back,” I said, hopping on his back.

“I'd love to, babygirl,” he said. “Can I call you babygirl?”

“Of course, babe,” I said, kissing his cheek as he walked out of the woods. Everyone was hooting and hollering at us.

“Nice to see you again. We thought you two eloped or something,” Jared joked.

“You know what Cameron?” Paul said. “We have patrol together tomorrow, so you better watch your back.”

“Jared, we'll elope as soon as you get laid,” I said, hopping down from Paul's back.

“So why hav-” he started, but Kim slapped her hand onto his mouth.

“I love you,” Jared said, his voice being muffled by her hand.

“I love you too,” Kim said, kissing his cheek.

“Let's get out of here,” Sam said. “We'll hang at my place and let the elders get some sleep.”

“It's my place, thank you very much,” Emily said, sassing Sam. I rolled my eyes and laughed at the two. Embry and Alex were holding hands as they headed out towards Embry's car.

“Guess we're walking,” Paul said to me.

“Sounds good,” I said, grabbing his hand and wrapping his arms around me.

When we arrived back at the house, there was a group sitting in a circle in the living room. I scanned the group and took in the faces of Sam, Emily, Embry, and Alex.

“Hey, you two,” Emily said.

“We were just getting ready to play truth or dare. Care to join us?” Sam asked. Everyone else sees him as this father figure who's super serious all the time, but those of us here, minus Emily, see him as more of a brother figure. And Emily acts like the mom friend. She isn't totally a mother figure, but she has your best interest at heart, so she comes off as a mother.

“Sure,” Paul said, pulling me into his lap.

“First, where do we all stand?” Alex asked.

“What?” I asked.

“Like Embry and I are a couple, nevermind. I just answered my own question,” he said. I laughed at my twin, but he crossed his arms and glared at me.

“Love you, Xander,” I said.

“Love you too, Dest,” he answered.

“You told me I couldn't call you Xander,” Embry said, faking offense.

“Cause that's my thing,” I said.

“Knock it off,” Sam said. “My idea, I start.”

“Wait,” I said.

“Oh my God,” Sam groaned. “You guys are so ADHD.”

“It's a legit question,” I said. “So, like, are we playing the version where if you chicken out you have to lose an article of clothing, or what?”

“Yeah. If y'all woulda been here on time, ya coulda changed, but nooo,” Embry said dramatically. I noticed the fact that they were all wearing more layers than usual.

“Whatever,” I said.

“Alright, Paul, truth or dare,” Sam asked.

“Dare,” Paul said quickly.