Chapter 20

On Monday, Seth wasn't in school, and neither were most of Sam's guys. Sam had lost two people and decided to double patrols so there's a patrol around the Cullen's house. I hung out with Alex and Embry, but felt like the third wheel, so I spent more time with Quil.

“Xander, come on,” I said. We had to stop in and see the Vice Principal about our senior project.

“We'll be right back,” Alex said to Embry.

“If it isn't the Young twins,” the Vice Principal said.

“Hello, Miss Wilson,” I said politely.

“What can I do for the two of you?” She asked.

“We're here to ask you about doing a modernized production of Romeo and Juliet for our senior projects,” I said.

“We have ten pages for you to preview of our script. Destiny is going to direct it, and I'm going to star as Rome,” Alex said. “We're writing the script together. We'll cast it together, kids from the school can star in it.”

“Rome and Jules,” she said, looking at the cover page of the script. “Principal Lawrence, Mark?”

“Mercutio,” I said.

“Tyler for Tybalt, Ben for Benvolio, Mr. C as in representative of Capulet, Count Paris would be CP?” She looked at us.

“CP is the characters nickname,” I explained.

“Rosie, Nikki?”

“Juliet's friend, serves the role of the Nurse,” I said.

“Miss Matthews?”

“Serves the role of the Montague's,” I said.

“I'm going to give you the go ahead to work on it, but I still need to talk to the teacher board,” she said.

“Thank you, ma'am,” I said, nodding politely.

“Thank you,” Alex said. We walked out of the school and headed home. Quil and Embry met us on our way.

“So, you think that Sam would cut us some slack to star in your play?” Quil asked.

“No, definitely not,” I said.

“Sam won't cut us any slack even if we're six feet under,” Embry said. We started laughing at Embry's comment.

“What's so funny?” Paul asked, meeting up with us. He must've been at Billy's for something.

“Nothing,” I said, smiling at the boys as Paul's arm fell across my shoulder.

“Okay,” Paul said rolling his eyes. About five minutes later, we walked up to the house and headed in to where Emily was waiting for us with muffins.

“You guys hungry?” She asked. “Like I have to ask.”

“Hey, save some for your brothers and imprints first,” she looked at Alex and I. We each grabbed a muffin and headed into the living room.

“How'd your meeting with the VP go?” Embry asked.

“She told us to continue to work on it,” Alex said.

“So you're going to get to put it on?” Paul asked.

“That's the hope,” I said.

“It'll be amazing,” Paul said, sitting beside me and kissing my temple.

“Thanks,” I said, smiling at him as Alex and I went back to writing.

“Babe,” Paul said half an hour later.

“Yeah?” I asked, looking up at him.

“I have patrol at the Cullen's til midnight. Don't wait up,” he said.

“Love you,” I said.

“Love you too.” He kissed my lips quickly before taking off out the back door.

“Dinner,” Emily yelled for us at about 6:00.

“Where is everyone else?” I asked.

“Patrols,” Emily said. It was just the three of us, but there was enough food for an army.

I nodded in agreement as she asked about our play. We answered the questions and got so engulfed in talking about the project that at first I didn't hear the phone ring.

Emily stood up and went over to the phone. She talked quietly and calmly to whoever was on the other end.

“You have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Follow up scans,” she said.

I nodded, “yeah, sounds about right.”

“Hey, it's all gonna be clear,” Alex said, grabbing my hand gently.

“Yeah, I know,” I said. “Can Paul go with us?”

“I'll have to talk to Sam, but I don't see why not,” she said.

“Me too,” Alex said.

“Yes, Xander, you're going too,” I said.

“You have school,” Emily said.

“Em, he hasn't ever missed one of my appointments. Please,” I said.

“Fine, but you both better make up your work,” she said.

“We will,” I said.