Chapter 54

"Who is it?" I asked anxiously as Seth walked in. It had to be bad if they sent him ahead.

"Paul," he said.

"What happened?" I asked angrily.

"He, uh, he was being all heroic and-."

Seth paused for half a second, giving me the opportunity to speak, "Is he okay?"

"No, but he will be," Seth said.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"The guys are bringing him," he said.

"Alex, get Claire. Take her outside and I'll have Quil and Embry meet you out front. Go to Old Quil's and explain what happened. He'll let you stay there for the night," Emily said. He nodded and went into the living room to get Claire. He shushed her as she went to cry and wrapped her in a blanket before carrying her outside. Brady burst through the back door, rushing into the living room. Sam, Embry, Quil, and Jake walked in with Paul hoisted on their shoulders. He was still naked from phasing back, but someone had thrown a blanket over him.

They carried him upstairs to my room, which had quickly become our room. I followed behind at a distance, but I still heard him groan in pain as they laid him on the bed.

"Dr. Cullen's on his way," Sam said as I walked in. "Everyone else out."

"Dest," he groaned.

"Shh, babe, I'm here," I said, feeling his pain reciprocated onto me. Granted, the pain was a lot less than what he was feeling, but it still hurt.

"Destiny, you won't want to see this," Sam said.

"I'm not leaving him," I said. "I refuse to do that to him."

"Emily, get everyone else outside. Tell Jared to stand guard with Embry," Sam said. Emily had followed me up the stairs to try and help Sam however she could.

"I let Embry and Quil take Claire and Alex to Old Quil's. I figured explaining to him what had happened would be easier than trying to explain to Embry's mom why they all were there, and with a child nonetheless," Emily said.

"Okay. Hopefully Jake comes with Cullen then. Tell Jared to have Leah and Brady run perimeter for a few hours. Seth is to stay and stand guard with him and the pups til Jake gets here, if he gets here," Sam said. She nodded before he kissed her head and she left the room.

"Dest," Paul said, his voice barely audible through his gritted teeth and tense jaw.

"I'm right here baby," I said, standing by his head and placing my hand on his forehead gently. His body temperature was even higher than usual, and touching his skin felt like touching an open flame. I actually thought for a second his skin was going to burn my hand.

"Here, Destiny," Sam said, moving the chair from my desk to beside my bed.

"Thank you," I said. "Can you get a cool washcloth please? It'll help him feel better."

"What?" Sam asked.

"A cold washcloth or an ice pack," I said. "His body temperature is insanely high."

"She's right Sam," a ghostly pale blonde guy said as he walked in. He must've been Carlisle Cullen, the vampire doctor.

"An icepack?" Sam asked.

"Yes, please," Carlisle said. Sam took off out of the room as Carlisle placed his medical bag on the floor beside my bed.

"Are you sure you want to be here?" Carlisle asked, looking at me worriedly.

"Yes, of course," I said. "I'm not leaving him."

"Paul, this is going to hurt. I can only give you so much morphine at a time, and your body temp will wear it off pretty quick. If you wolves would stop phasing back so quick, this would hurt a lot less," Carlisle said.

"It's an instinct," Paul said, opening his eyes. I made eye contact with him, and he forced a smile onto his face.

"Stop trying to be a hero," I said. He looked confused for a second, but it ended when he jumped as Carlisle's cold hand touched his shoulder.

"It's Destiny right?" Carlisle asked.

"Yeah," I said, not allowing my eyes to leave Paul.

"Alright, Destiny, talk to him. Try and keep him distracted as much as possible, please," Carlisle said. I nodded, only trusting myself to move slightly as I took a few deep breaths to steady myself.

"Here," Sam said, handing me the ice pack. I took it and placed it on Paul's forehead as Sam stood behind me, waiting for instructions from Carlisle.

Sam placed a strong, reassuring hand on my shoulder, trying to comfort me without scaring Paul.