Chapter 60

Paul made a full recovery just in time for us to spend New Year's together. I spent every waking minute with him, just enjoying the fact that I didn't have to let him leave to be with the pack for hours on end. He was happier than I'd ever seen him when Carlisle told us we could start staying in the same bed again. That day, he also found out he could start walking, and New Year's Eve was the first time he was allowed to phase in almost a week.

Sam and I were both scared about how calm he'd been. But, as usual, Sam had a plan to make him angry enough to get him to phase.

We we're sitting around the table after dinner on New Year's Eve, talking about anything and everything.

"Destiny, can I talk to alone?" Emily asked. It was just Sam, Paul, and I, and I had a vague idea of what was going on.

"Anything you have to say to me can be said in front of these two. Unless, ya know, they're too good for me," I said, still bitter about her remarks about Paul and I's relationship. I was still genuinely angry about it, and it's been almost a week.

"I'm sorry," she said, sighing in exasperation.

"Doesn't sound it," I said, taking the cup of coffee and wrapping my hands around it.

"I am," she said. "I never should've said anything about your leg or Paul." I glanced at Paul and could tell he was getting angry. Sam nodded from his seat by Paul and I knew I had to make Paul angrier than I ever had to before.

"You told me that Paul never would've noticed me," I said. "That the imprint bond is the only reason we're together."

"Babe," Paul said, warningly.

"What? Is it true?" I asked. "Are you only with me because you have to be so we don't both die?"

"No, of course not. You know that," he said. I could tell he was starting to shake slightly.

"How would I? You told me about the imprint bond and assumed I would just accept it and go along with it. You never once told me you liked me for any reason other than the imprint bond," I said.

"Of course I do, you self centered brat. I love you for how amazing and sweet you are. You've been caring for me for almost a week straight. I would've noticed you because you're absolutely beautiful. So what you got dealt a bad hand and had you're leg amputated. I don't care because I still love you Destiny Rose. And I love how hard you're trying to make me mad right now so that I will phase and everything will be okay," he said.

"What?" I asked. He smiled at me, causing me to give up and smile in response.

"I love you beautiful. I always will. Trying to make me angry enough to phase probably would've worked if Sam had remembered I have supernatural hearing," Paul said, causing me to giggle.

"Come on guys. The rest of the pack with be here soon to celebrate," Emily said. "Dest, I really am sorry."

"Apology accepted, but it still hurt. A lot," I said, standing up and heading to the living room with Paul.