Chapter 26

“Paul, sit down,” Sam's voice woke me up. I had only been asleep about half an hour, or maybe a whole day. I wasn’t really sure.

“No,” Paul said. There was a thud. One that sounded like Sam had thrown Paul into a chair.

“Your imprint is upstairs crying her eyes out right now because she's in so much physical pain,” Sam yelled.

“I'm in pain too, Sam,” Paul retaliated. “Do you think it felt good to have her call me an ass?”

His voice sounded hurt, and my heart longed to go comfort him. I wanted to run downstairs and into his arms and beg for forgiveness, but I couldn't. I'm a stubborn person, and I didn't do anything wrong. I'm not going to go downstairs and beg for forgiveness if I didn't do anything wrong.

“You need to talk to her, Paul. I can not fix this for you. You are both capable adults,” Sam said. I rolled my eyes at Sam.

He was stressed enough and didn't need to put up with our adolescent attitudes, but somehow, he got dragged right into the middle of it all. I actually kind of felt bad for him. I knew the next time he came to talk to me that I'd apologise, but I wasn't going downstairs right now to apologise to him.

“Why the hell should I talk to her?” Paul's voice cut into my heart like a knife. That stung worse than anything I've ever felt in my life. The emotional pain I was in doubled as it turned to physical pain at his words.

“Paul, she's your soulmate and you fucked up. Go deal with it,” Sam yelled. I mentally thanked Sam for defending me, but I didn't think I'd be able to look at Paul after this.

“Fuck no. She's the one causing all the issues. She doesn't want to make a decision, but she doesn't want anyone else to make it for her,” Paul yelled. I whimpered slightly as the pain in my chest got worse.

I started sobbing into my blankets as he blamed it all on me. I didn't know what love was before Paul, but now I think I'd rather not know than go through this much pain everytime we fight.

It was silent for a second before Sam started in again.

“Do you hear that, Paul?” Sam yelled. “She's in physical pain because you're being an ass. Get your ass upstairs and start sucking up because she's pissed.”

“No, Sam. I'm not going up there and begging on my knees like I did something wrong,” Paul yelled again.

My body longed for his. I longed for his arms to wrap around me tightly and hold me to his chest as he whispered about how much he loved me. I could feel it deep within me that if he'd just come upstairs everything would work out.

I heard someone whimpering before there was the slamming sound of the back door. I clutched my blanket to my chest, trying to ignore the expanding pain of this whole situation.

“Alright, hot shot,” Kim said, walking into my room carrying two bowls of ice cream. “Get up, I brought your favorite.”

“Kim, I'm really not in the mood,” I said. I didn't want to have to pretend like nothing was wrong, and luckily, Kim wouldn't expect me too. She knew how much this was hurting me and she would try to make it better, but she would not expect me to act like nothing's wrong.

“Oh, but I am,” she said, handing me the bowl. “Look, I know. It sucks. Jared imprinted on me, but continued to ignore me, and I didn't know why it hurt so much worse. He did and he ignored me anyways.”

“How is this supposed to help me?” I asked, taking a tiny bite of the ice cream.

“I don't know. But, Em has agreed to get all the guys out of the house for the night, and we're having a girls night,” she said.

“What about the ones that live here?” I asked.

“Alex is staying at Embry's, and Sam is gonna take midnight patrol and sleep in the woods,” she said. I nodded and continued to eat the ice cream. She told me stories about her and Jared and how awkward they were together. Everything she said, she worded in a way that she hoped would bring a smile to my face. Some of it made my lips turn up just a little, but nothing made me genuinely smile. I wasn't sure if I'd ever smile again.