Chapter 43

"I'm here," Becca sung as she walked in.

"Shh," Paul and I both snapped at her.

"Claire's finally asleep," I said.

"Oh, sorry. Melody leave you with Claire again?" She asked.

"Nah, It's was Emily this time. Melody didn't do any Christmas shopping for Claire, so Emily and Sam are doing that," I said.

"Where's Alex?" She asked.

"With Embry. They should be here soon," Paul answered.

"And you are?" She sassed. Paul tensed up but I ran my hand up and down his arm and he relaxed.

"Paul, my boyfriend and Sam's best friend," I said.

"No way. You two are here alone with Claire right upstairs?" She asked.

"Yeah, and we're not doing anything wrong. Still recovering from surgery here," I said.

"Hey, babe. I'm gonna head upstairs and shower," Paul said, kissing my cheek before wiggling his way out from behind me.

"Look, I'm sorry," she said, stopping Paul on his way out of the room.

"Apology accepted," he said. He continued out of the room and she came over and sat down with me.

"How've you been? Shoot straight with me," she said.

"Good. Paul helps, a lot. But he's good for me. He's not like Kyle," I said.

"That's good," she said.

"What about you? How was New York?"

"Terrifying," she said. "I'm never gonna make it. I've decided to move home and teach. Maybe meet someone and settle down before it's too late."

"You've been gone nine months," I said. "You're far too young to be acting like this."

"I had a prophetic dream. I'm gonna die soon, or at least that's what I think it means. I've talked to the Makah elders and they agree," she said softly.

"You're going to be fine. You're going to meet someone and settle down and have kids. It's all going to work out Bec."

She looked like she was about to start sobbing. I wrapped my arms around her and held her for a moment before the door opened and Alex and Embry walked in.

"Bec?" Alex asked gently before running over and sitting beside her. She started sobbing into his arms. They have always been close, we all have. It's been extremely hard having her away.

I faintly heard Claire's sobs from upstairs and got up, making my way to her room quickly.

"What's wrong Claire?" Paul asked softly. I stopped in the hallway and leaned against the wall to listen.

"Momma," she sobbed. Truth be told, I didn't know where Melody was. She'd dropped Claire off three days ago and no one had talked to her since.

"Shh, I'm sorry Claire, but I don't know where Momma is. I can get Dessy or call Emmy," he said.

"Quilly," she sobbed.

"I can call him," Paul said. There was no need though because Quil came sprinting in the back door and up the stairs. He could feel her distress through the imprint bond and needed to see that she was okay.

"I've got it Paul, thanks," Quil said softly.

"C'mon babe, let's go to bed," Paul said, walking out of the room. We headed to my room and got into bed, hoping for things to die down but knowing they wouldn't.