Chapter 29

As Quil, Embry, Alex, and I approached Emily and Sam's house after school, I stopped dead in my tracks. We were mere feet from the steps when it happened too.

“What's up?” Embry asked, his arm still hanging loosely around Alex's shoulders. Alex was curling slightly into his side, submitting to Embry's dominance eagerly.

“Quil, is that your grandfather's truck?” I asked. Quil allowed his eyes to travel up to the truck I was pointing at. He didn't have to answer verbally as recognition flashed through his eyes.

“Does it matter?” Alex asked quietly.

“I'm not going in there,” I said defiantly.

“Yes, you are. You promised Sam,” Alex said.

“Why do you people let me make promises when I'm angry?” I asked, refusing to leave my spot.

“Paul,” Embry yelled before smirking at me cockily.

“I hate you Call,” I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

“I can live with that,” he said to me. He turned to Alex and kissed his forehead before asking, “Wanna head back to my place? Mom's working and I don't have to patrol today.”

“Yeah, I've gotta tell Emily,” Alex said, running inside. Paul joined us outside, almost colliding with Alex as they both went to walk through the door.

Paul's eyes lit up as they met mine, but I was angry so I didn't pay any attention. He was confused but came down the steps and cautiously wrapped his arms around my waist. I sighed in content, causing him to tighten his hold on me a little bit.

“You summoned me,” Paul said.

“Destiny has decided she is not going inside cause Old Quil is here,” Embry said.

“Come on babe,” Paul said, kissing my cheek.

“Why? So that he can tell me things I already know? Or so that he can tell me to try some herbal remedies?” I asked, snapping my words at nobody in particular. If I was being totally honest, I was snapping my words because I was angry with the gods.

“One, calm down. Two, you promised Sam you'd hear old Quil out,” Paul said, his confidence in our relationship returning.

“God, I hate you all for allowing me to make promises while I'm pissed off,” I said, storming up the stairs and taking a deep breath before entering the house. I could act nice and polite even if I wasn't feeling like being truly nice or polite.

“Hello, Destiny. It's nice to see you again. Although I do wish it was under different circumstances,” Old Quil said as I sat down at the table beside Emily. Paul entered right behind me and took the seat on the other side of me. Quil was right behind him.

“Quil, good, you're here,” Sam said. “Take the pups for a perimeter run. Teach em the boundaries. I'll take you off midnight patrol tonight."

“Sounds good,” Quil said, leading the two youngest pack members out of the house.

“So, Destiny, Sam and Emily we're telling me about your situation,” Old Quil said, obviously choosing his words carefully as to not upset me.

“Yeah, I have cancer, again,” I said, trying not to have an attitude with him.

“Yes, well, I've looked through most of the written records for the tribe, and I have not found anything, but there's one more that seems promising. Billy and I will continue to look for the next two days. That'll be Saturday and should give you enough time for you to decide before your appointment,” he said.

“Thank you. It means a lot that you'd care for me, an orphaned Makah Native,” I said.

“Well, as an imprint you're technically part of the pack,” he said, standing up.

“Thank you, again,” I said.

“Thank you, so much,” Paul said, hugging Old Quil. I knew the boys had a special bond with the Elders so it didn't seem weird to me that Paul had hugged him. Old Quil thanked Emily and Sam again before leaving.

“Hey, Destiny. I get it. You're angry, but your attitude needs to end,” Sam said.

“Yes sir,” I said sarcastically.

He cut an angry glare at me. “I'm serious. End it.”

“What is your issue today?” I asked.

“I heard you before you came in,” he said.

“Oh,” I said, dragging it out a little, playing into the fact that he thought it explained everything.

“Please,” Emily said.

“Yes, ma'am,” I said. “Now, if you'll please excuse me, I have a play to write.”

“Aren't you supposed to be working on that with someone?” Sam asked.

“Sam, chill, he put a ton of work into it without me, so it's time I do my share,” I said.

“Alright. Dinner's at 6,” Sam said. I nodded and grabbed a muffin off the counter before heading upstairs to get to work on my Senior Project. Paul joined me, keeping me company while I was working. He tried to not distract me, but occasionally it happened on accident. I was just happy to have him back.

“I love you Paul,” I said, leaning down to him since he was laying down and kissing him gently.

“I love you too Destiny,” he said, smiling at me after the kiss.