Chapter 45

"Who the hell is that?" Alex asked. "It's 5:30 in the morning."

"I'll go answer it," Sam said. Emily stood up, allowing Sam to go answer the door.

"Who's here?" Claire asked.

"I don't know hon. Sam's got it though. What'd you get?" I said. I was trying to distract her.

"Babe, I'll be right back," Paul said. I knew it had to be serious because he would be able to hear everything from here.

I smiled at him and nodded as he left the room. Alex joined Claire on the floor and began to play with her. Emily stood up and headed to the kitchen to begin making breakfast. I remained on the couch, watching my niece as she played happily.

"Destiny, come here please," Sam said, walking into the kitchen with Paul in tow.

"What?" I asked, hobbling into the kitchen on my crutches. Emily was sitting at the table with Paul beside her on her left and Sam on her right. Paul motioned for me to sit in his lap.

I made my way over to him, causing him to immediately wrap his arms around me and pull me into his lap. My hand, as if with a mind of its own, began to rub his arm in attempt to soothe him.

"That was Jake. Alice had a vision about Melody," he said softly so the others couldn't hear.

"Okay, and," I prodded. Paul had his face buried in my shoulder, breathing deeply as if attempting to calm down.

"They believe the Volturri have kidnapped her in attempt to gain information on us," he said.

"She doesn't know anything about the pack," I said, becoming angry with the vampire royalty.

It finally made sense as to why Paul had his arms around me when they tightened. Sam was afraid I'd try to hurt someone. I don't know why though. Just because I'm fiercely loyal to my family does not mean that I am going to hurt someone.

"We know that," he said. "If it's true, they'll bring her along as a hostage. I promise we will get her back."

"And traumatize her along the way," I said.

"Destiny, calm down," Sam said.

"No, Sam," I responded, trying to fight him.

"Yes, Destiny," he said. I fought to stay angry, not wanting his stupid alpha order to have power over me, but it didn't work. He became angry and the order grew stronger and I had to stop fighting.

"Babygirl, you're not angry with us, right?" Paul asked.

"Why would I be angry with you?" I asked. "I just wanna rip those leeches thousand year old bodies limb from limb. That's all."

"Yeah, how about you don't," Emily said.

"Fine, but only cause you told me no," I said. She smiled and rolled her eyes at my reply.

"I love you, Em," I said.

"I love you too, Des," she said. It fell silent for a moment as we all relaxed slightly. The silence was cut short my the oven going off.

"Does that mean breakfast is done?" Alex yelled.

"Not yet," Emily responded.

"Boo, you're no fun," Alex yelled back.

"What time do you want to do our presents from each other?" I asked.

"You and Alex have some gifts in there from Santa as well. Paul might even have a few," Emily said, motioning to the remaining fifteen or so presents under the tree.

"You didn't have to," I said.

"We didn't, but we did," Sam said. Paul and I returned to the living room, acting like small children instead of teenagers.

"Thank you," I said, looking at Emily so she got that I was thanking her.

"Dessy, Santa isn't here to thank," Claire said.

"But shouldn't we thank him anyways?" I asked.

"Yeah," she said, thanking Santa happily.