Chapter 53

"Alright losers, get up. I've gotta leave and I would love a proper goodbye," Becca said, kicking the couch slightly to wake Alex and I up.

"What time is it?" Alex asked.

"6:30," Becca replied, causing Alex and I both to groan.

"What?" She asked.

"We were hoping to get a little more sleep than this," I said, sitting up and wiping the sleep from my eyes.

"You two will live," Emily said. "Stop being dramatic."

"Easy for you to say. You have practice at being up early," I said.

"Quit whining and give me a hug then you can go back to sleep," she said. I got up and hugged her, quickly saying goodbye before heading out to the kitchen to get something to eat. I was worried beyond belief, but I really needed to eat something.

"I made you some toast. I figured it'd be about the only thing either of you could stomach right now," Emily said, setting the plate in front of me.

"Thanks Em," I said. She nodded as Alex joined us and Becca left for the Makah reservation.

"How'd you sleep?" Alex asked softly as Emily took Claire to lay her on the couch and watch a movie. Somehow she'd come down with some ailment overnight; that ailment being stress, but she didn't know that.

"Like trash, you?" I asked.

"Um, a little worse than trash," he said jokingly. I smiled slightly but just couldn't bring myself to laugh.

Several long and anxiety filled hours later, we were sitting around the table eating dinner before the guys got home so we actually got food. Kim had gone upstairs to call her mom, and Claire was still laying on the couch feeling ill.

"Look, Destiny, I don't care if you don't want to eat cause that's more for me," Alex said, hoping that would get me to eat.

"I'm not hungry Alex, so go ahead," I said softly. I curled up just a little bit more into Paul's hoodie and rested my head on the table in front of me.

An awful silence fell over the house until a crashing noise sounded on the back porch. I turned quickly in my chair to see Brady laying on the ground and Collin looking like he wanted to kill him.

"How long have they been here?" I asked Alex, hope filling me that maybe Paul was home already.

"I have no idea," he responded.

Emily ran out the back door, yelling at the boys to calm down. I'm sure Sam was doing the same thing through the mind link.

The second Emily was back in the house, I freaked out.

"What the hell are they doing here?" I asked angrily.

"They're protecting us all. Kim is upstairs, which means all the imprints except Nessie are here," she said.

"So I had to give up what could've been my last day with my imprint so he could train them to sit on the porch and do nothing?" I asked.

"This is cold ones we're talking about. You can never be too careful," Emily said.

"I wish I never had to find out about all this. I wish it didn't exist because you know what, I can take care of myself," I said angrily. I was trying to keep my volume down so the pups and Claire didn't hear me.

"Without this world Paul never would've noticed you," Emily said. I stared at her shocked for a minute as Alex came to my defense.

"Seriously Emily? Of all the people in this world to say something like that it was you,"  he yelled, not caring who heard. "I'm sure she's thought things like that a million times, and I'm sure it's her biggest insecurity. That's why it surprises me so much that you'd say something like that."

"Let's face it. You're beautiful Destiny, and I'm not trying to be mean; but Paul wouldn't have noticed you because you don't fit his type," Emily said.

"I'm going upstairs. You can explain to Paul and Sam why everything in my room has been destr-," I said, and was cut short by a wolf howling. My heart immediately began pounding harder as I tried to cling to the hope that Paul was still okay

"Who is it?" I asked anxiously as Seth walked in. It had to be bad if they sent him ahead.

"Paul," he said.