Seven Deadly Sins - Bones (Part Four)

Part Four

They spend the night together again. They fall asleep spooning, both a little high on affection. McCoy can't explain it well, feeling hyped up and excited in a way that calms and comforts him. It's a hard sensation to comprehend. A few hours later Orlo stirs and climbs out of the bed quickly. Before he can ask where she's going he hears her throwing up. He climbs out of the bed, heading into the bathroom and holding her hair back.

"Again? It must be whatever we picked up from Chekov. I'm taking you to medbay, okay?"

She nods, standing up and washing her mouth out in the basin. She ties her hair back and looks at McCoy's reflection in the mirror. He gives her a soft smile, offering his hand towards her. She takes it and they head off together, walking in a comfortable silence.

McCoy feels strange working in medbay without his uniform on. He's looking at Orlo's vitals and nothing of concern shows up.

"Are you showing any other symptoms?"

"Well," she says, running a hand through her hair. "Chest pain I guess..."

"As in you can't breathe properly or?"

"No," she says, apologising for her bad wording. "My breasts are just sore. I only noticed it this morning but I thought I just slept on them a weird way or something."

"Have you missed a period?"

She looks up, a little dazed and looking lost for words.

"Orlo? Is your period late?"

"I was sick, I didn't think anything of it...But I can't be... Surely I'm not...."

He looks around medbay, inviting her into his office to talk a little more privately. The colour in her face has drained and she looks more stressed than McCoy has ever seen her.

"The more I think about it, the more sense it makes but I can't be... I can't be..."

"Go on, say it," McCoy urges, his soft voice from before completely gone, replaced with an angrier, firmer tone. "Say it Orlo."

"I can't be pregnant, it doesn't make sense?"

"Have you been sleeping with someone? Just tell me, is there someone else I don't know about? Am I wasting my time??"

"Leo, calm down for a second. I'm not-"

"Are you fucking someone else Orlo?!"

"I told you," she says, her voice close to yelling now. "I can't be pregnant, I haven't had sex with anyone since getting on the ship."

"Are you sure because I don't think the foetus just crawled up in there! Just tell me, who did you fuck?!"

She stops then, staring at him silently. He realises how out of breath he is. She's biting her lip and she swallows, her eyes starting to well with tears. She sniffles, McCoy realises he's gone too far. She cracks then, a soft sob escaping her lips, tears starting to spill from her eyes.

And that's the exact moment McCoy's heart breaks in two. His anger has taken control again, even Orlo, Orlo of all people, has gotten caught in the hurricane.

"Tuesday," he says softly, his own eyes starting to well up.

"Don't," she warns, looking back up at him. "No wonder everyone else thinks you're a nightmare to work with. They're right. You are a nightmare."

She leaves his office and McCoy sinks into his chair. He starts sobbing then, his head in his hands. He finds the bottle of bourbon under his desk and takes a long swig of it, coughing as he tries to swallow it all. He can't remember the last time he cried like this. Maybe when his daughter decided to live with her mother. He takes another swig from the bottle, resting his head on the desk and wondering why, after all this time, it had to be Orlo that he blew up at. He needs to leave medbay, he needs to be alone. He wipes his mouth with his sleeve and leaves, only receiving a passing glace from the other medbay staff.