chapter 21

We were just about to leave when my mom walked in the door.
"Sit.wr need to talk. " She said when she saw me. I sighed.
"Why, "
"I told you we are going to talk about me marrying your dad. So we are talking now. "
"Ok so you said we are moving. "
"Yes.um. He has a lot of money. Like I said he is an oil executive. He had a trust fund for you and a seperate college fund. "I inhaled. I looked down.
" We are moving with him. He only lives in oak Park. You would still be able to go to the same school since you drive yourself. I went to his house today, I think your gunna love it. You get your own floor. The third floor. We can start packing tomorrow and be out of this house by the weekend. "
"I can't pack tomorrow I have to get ready for the quince and go take pictures and stuff. Also why now? Can't we wait until next week. "
"I guess. But you have to ask your dad. " She patted my knee and smiled.
"I'm proud of you. I know he was gone for a long time but I'm glad you two get along. " I smiled to.
"I thought it was gunna be hard. Ya know,  to let him in but it wasn't. It was surprisingly easy. " I said softly.
"I know honey. I felt the same too
Anyway it's getting late. You should leave. " She said. I nodded,  got up,  and grabbed my bag. We walked outside. I out Mona in her car seat. Well a booster seat. As Blake put the bags in the truck. I got into the car and started it.
++++-++---------+++-------------------------_------------------------++--+-+-+-----+-++
It is 9 when we get home. When I pull into the driveway I see a cop car.
"Oh no. "
"Don't assume anything yet ok Al. " Blake said I nodded but I had this feeling. We get out we don't even worry about the bags. I run inside while Blake gets Mona. I walk inside to see a cop, my dad and mom. Mom has been crying I can tell.
"What's wrong? What happened? " I say in a rush.
"Your sister. I assume has been in a car accident. She was with her friend and her friends parent. I don't know where they were going but a car ran a light and hit your sisters side of the car. She's in surgery right now at the hospital. " I don't even let him finish I just left. I walk back outside to see Blake and Mona sitting on the porch talking.
"Mona go inside and stay with my mom. Me and Blake have to go somewhere. " She nods and goes inside.
"What's wrong? "
"Monica was in a car accident. We have to go. " I say and get in the car. I don't even wait for Blake to put on his seatbelt I just speed out of the driveway.
---+--++++------+++++++++---------+---------------------+--+--------------------------
I walk to the front desk. The nurse it tapping on the computer.
"How can I help you. "
"My sister, Monica Gonzales, was brought in. She was in a car accident. They said she was in surgery. " I said trying not to break down.
"Down the Hall and take a right. Wait in the waiting room for the doctor. " She said. I thanked her and went to the waiting room. I sat down in the uncomfortable hospital chairs and put my head in my hands. I feel a hand on my back. I know it's Blake but I don't look up.
"It's ok. She's gunna be fine. " He said softly.
"And what if she isn't? I barley even see her anymore and when I do I treat her like shit. She will hug me and tell me she loves me but I will push her of and not say anything back. That's when she is home. No wonder why she's never home. It's my fault. It's all my fault! " I cried. My hands are we with my tears.
"Non of this is your fault. She's not here because you're a bad sister. She is here because a drunk driver ran a red light. " I heard a different voice. I look up to see Sam. He is always the person to calm me down during a crisis. He sits on my other side. I look at the floor. Crying silently. I hear footsteps. My mom and dad walk in along with Monica's dad. Zack.
"Why are you here? " I ask.
"Because she is my daughter. " He said.
"That's funny because the last I knew,  you wanted nothing to do with her. That's why you moved halfway across this state. " I said. It's true one day she came in my room crying because he said that he wanted nothing to do with her. The reason why is because he has three other kids. So he didn't have the time or the money for her. So he moved and got married.
"You're right. That's is until. I hear she's in the hospital In critical condition. "
"So all it takes is for her to be in critical condition for you to come. " I spat.
"Alejandra." My dad tried to say.
"No he doesn't deserve to be here. He wasn't her before why would he be here now. " I spat. I stood up. I was shaking with mixed emotions running through my head. Anger at her dad for thinking for even one second he deserves to be here. Regret and sadness for being a terrible sister. And sympathy because it had to be her . Why her?   Why not me? I feel nauseous.
"Ali calm down and sit before you pass out. Blake get some chocolate from the vending. Has she ate today? "
"I don't know I'll be back. " I heard Sam and Blake talking. I sat down and tried to control me breathing.
"Ali breath in and out. " I heard Sam say.
"Here."
"Ali I need you to eat this. " I shook my head.
"Do you want to pass out. " I shook my head.
"Then I need you to eat this. Please. " I took the piece of chocolate with shaking hands. I took small bites and when I was finished I felt a little better.
"Water." I said. Blame got up to get water. He came back a few seconds later with a cup of water. I take it and drink it little by little.
"Better? " Sam asks. I nod. Then I notice everyone standing around me.
"Can I get some room please? "Everyone backed away.
" Are you okay. This is the second time this happened. "Blake asked. I nodded.
" Monica Gonzales. "The doctor called. Me and my mom got up.
" Is everything alright doctor? "My mom asked.
" Yes, everything is good. She did really well in surgery. She is in recovery right now. But other than that she is good. Maybe some bruising and pain here and there. Nothing to bad. We need to keep her in observation for a couple of days. Then we can release her. She may have to do physical therapy for her left hand because that was fractured. She will have to wear a brace for her wrist because that was sprained also. But like I said nothing major. She should wake up some time tonight but only family is allowed after hours. "She said. We nodded and thanked her. I went to sit.
" She's in recovery only family is allowed right now since its after hours. "My.om said.
" You guys should go home. I will stay tonight. "I said.
" Are you sure? "Dad asked. I nodded.
" Ok follow me. "The doctor said. Blake was following me. We walked down the long hallway and entered room 198.i seen Monica sleeping on the bed. She looked so innocent and fragile. I went and sat next to her . Blake went and sat on the couch in the room.
" You can sleep. Don't wait for me. I know your tired. "I said softly.
" Are you going to be fine? "
"Yea."
"Ok but wake me if anything goes wrong. " I nodded. He lied down and fell asleep instantly. I remember when I was first learning how to drive. She was in the backseat cracking jokes about how I was going to crash the car. I never did though. That day was the best day and maybe one of the most rare days where we weren't fighting. I hear the bed shift. I look over to see her awake.
"Ali.wheres mom? " She asked.
"She's at home. I sent her home she looked so tired from all the crying. "I said.
" Oh. Are you here alone? "
"No Blake is sleeping. "
"Will you sing to me? I kinda miss when you used to sing me to sleep. "
"Yea sure. Any suggestions. "
"Let's go Disney tonight. " I nodded.

"Look at this stuff
Isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has ev'rything?
Look at this trove
Treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Lookin' around here you'd think
(Sure) she's got everything
I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore
(You want thingamabobs?
I got twenty)
But who cares?
No big deal
I want more
I want to be where the people are
I want to see
want to see 'em dancin'
Walkin' around on those
(Whad'ya call 'em?) oh - feet
Flippin' your fins you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumpin', dancin'
Strollin' along down a
(What's that word again?) street
Up where they walk
Up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wanderin' free
Wish I could be
Part of that world
What would I give
If I could live
Outta these waters?
What would I pay
To spend a day
Warm on the sand?
Betcha on land
They understand
Bet they don't reprimand their daughters
Bright young women
Sick o' swimmin'
Ready to stand
And ready to know what the people know
Ask 'em my questions
And get some answers
What's a fire and why does it
(What's the word?) burn?
When's it my turn?
Wouldn't I love
Love to explore that shore above?
Out of the sea
Wish I could be
Part of that world"

Her eyes we're closed but I know we she wasn't fully asleep . So I went on.

"Aloha 'oe, aloha 'oe
E ke onaona noho i ka lipo
One fond embrace,
A ho'i a'e au
Until we meet again"

I knew she was asleep now. Her breathing was steady. I looked over at Blake. He was awake and smiling.
"When did you wake up? " I asked.
"When you started to sing aloha 'oe. I know that both of your favorite disney song. Why didn't you sing the whole song?"
"Because that little part was in the movie and I love it. " I said.
"It's late you should sleep. " I nodded.
"You do know that's a pull out bed right? "
"Yea I was waiting for you. "
"Yea I'm sure you were. " We smiled. He pulled out the bed and we lied down.
"She really loves you,  ya know. "
"I know and I love her. I just don't show it when I should. "
"Don't stress out about it just get some sleep. "
"Ok." And with that I drifted into the darkness.