Chapter 35 - Admitting is the first step -

Chapter 35 of MSL

-Admitting is the first step-

"Kaden," Echo's voice rang through my ears. "It's time to wake up."

"Morning." I groaned rolling over on top of her.

"Babe." She laughed.

"Can't we just sleep like this for a little while longer?" I asked.

"No, I can't breathe." She coughed.

"Are you saying I'm fat?"

"Just a little." She laughed.

Rolling off of her I jumped out of bed pulling on my dark skinny jeans. Echo jumped out behind me throwing her arms around me. "Just kidding I don't wanna get up."

"What do you mean?" I questioned laughing slightly.

"Come here." She whined pulling me back to bed.

Laying down she wrapped her arms around my torso wiggling her leg in between mine. Her breath was warm on my skin with her head resting on my chest. "Your heart is racing."

"Yeah, you kind of... have that effect on me." I laughed.

"Oh babe, I love you." She said pressing her lips to mine.

"I love you too." Just as I was about to kiss her back my phone started ringing in my pocket. Trying to wiggle free out from under Echo to grab my phone I ended up pushing her off the bed and on to the floor.

Laughing at what had just happened I tried to grab her arm to pull her back up but she just yanked me down as well.

I then quickly answered my phone before the last ring. "Hello?"

"Hey." Nicole's voice rang through the other end of the line.

"Oh hey, what's up?"

"Nothing to interesting." She answered. "I was just wondering if you wanted to hangout for a little while before Katie's mom drives me to Vegas to get on a plane back to Orlando."

"Oh, yeah sounds good. Do you wanna... come over here?" I asked.

"Yeah, I want to come see Ava again."

Remembering I was at Echo's house I grabbed my shirt from last night that was in a pile on the floor. "Oh wait, are you even home?" Nicole asked.

"No, but I'm on my way home. So I'll see you in a minute."

"Okay sounds good."

"Okay, bye." I hung up.

"Wait... Where are you going?" Echo asked grabbing my hand as I stood up.

"My house. I'm gonna go hang out with Nicole before she leaves back to Florida today," I explained answering her question. "I'll come back over later."

"And we can make cupcakes?" Echo asked.

"Yeah sure." I nodded laughing at her childish remark.

"Yes!" She screamed. "Bye, I love you."

"Love you too, bye." I said walking out the front door into the cold, crisp, air, late November afternoon.

I hurried down the street to my house with a lot on my mind. Or well, one thing. And it had been bugging me since I had left Florida.

Nicole was already sitting on the front steps talking with Ava, who was playing with her hair.

"Hey!" Nicole greeted me just as she jumped from the steps throwing her arms around me.

"Hi." I smiled as she let me out of her grip.

"Kaden. It's she so pretty." Ava said still mesmerized by her hair.

"Yes, she is." I laughed.

"Can we go inside?" Ava said pulling at my arm.

"Yeah, sure why not." I nodded as the three of us made our way inside.

After Nicole had said "Hi" to everyone we made our way to my room. I was laying on my bed and she was sitting against the wall staring at me.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" She said breaking the silence.

"I've been thinking a lot lately, about... well... a lot." I laughed stalling.

Nicole laughed at me slightly behind her hand. "Kaden, just tell me."

"Okay, so I've been feeling rather guilty about everything lately. I mean you told me your story, I should tell you mine. And it's long..."

"Alright, shoot." Nicole said calmly as always.

Taking a deep breath I sat up so I could look her in the eyes.

"Okay, so... You probably know most of what I'm about to tell you but," I paused for a minute deciding if this was the right thing to do. "I'm gonna come sit next to you."

I jumped from my bed and sinking against the wall next to her. "So... let's start from the beginning, because that's usually the best place to start." I sighed.

"So lets go." She smiled.

"Okay, so the basics. I was abused which you knew. But when I was thirteen my science teacher made us take a stress test, and I scored really high. She got me into counseling and was worried a lot about the things I was telling her. I was then tested for... Schizophrenia... and... it cam out positive.

"One day it slipped out that dad hit me and she promised to keep a secret after I begged her for an hour not to call Social Services, but after a few bruises and a broken arm. She caved and made the call, I was immediately put in a boys home in Loa Utah until I got in so much trouble that they gave up on me and put me in foster care here in Richfield.

"I met Echo in FACS class and then I tried to commit suicide and Social Services tried to send be to a different boys home in West Jordan, I ran away because I never wanted to be in another boys home again, it was horrible and I couldn't go through that again.

Then, Social Services finally decided maybe they should try to get me adopted after two years of being thrown in a different house every month for two years and Tyler's family volunteered. Laura is in the middle of a divorce and then she said she would go through with the whole adoption thing..."

"Wait so you're... Schizophrenic?" Nicole asked.

"Yeah, Paranoid and disorganized schizophrenic." I explained.

"That's so cool!" She said excitedly flashing me a huge smile.

"Yeah..." I said confused. "Wait? Why aren't you freaking out?"

"Because I don't care. I think that's totally awesome. Mental disorders have always fascinated me."

"Wow... this went better then I planned." I nodded.

"I could never disown you, I mean your my brother. I love you, why were you so worried?"

"Honestly... when you open up about something to one person, it makes it that much easier to open up to someone else..."

"You mean Echo? Right?"

"Yeah."

Just as she was about to answer her phone started ringing. "Oh crap, that's Katie. I better get going. I'm sorry." She sighed standing up.

"It's fine." I said standing up next to her.

"Well, I guess I'll see you next time." She smiled hugging me again.

"Bye." I smiled.

Nicole said goodbye to Ava and was gone.

As I watched her walk down the street all I could think about was: one down, one to go.

*** HA! Katie! I told you I would update! anywhore, what do you think? haha finally a good chapter? probably not... another update soon!!!!