Chapter 13 ♦ The Man In The Duct Tape Isle ♦

Chapter 13

-The man in the Duck-Tape Isle -

*Echo's POV*

"Echo?" Kaden said looking at me furrowing his eyebrows.

I already knew what he was thinking so I just smiled and mumbled "Huh?" because it was all I could manage to get out with my mouth clear full.

"It's the end of October, and you’re eating ice cream like it's going to fall off the face of the earth… and we’re in the middle of Wal-Mart?" he said as if I was insane.

"Et's ho het some duct-tape" I said with my still full, taking another huge bite. I don't know why I wanted duct tape, it was just always good to have on hand. And who knows, maybe I'll get off the couch one day and make a dress or something like that. You never know?

He followed me at my side as we walked to the other side of Wal-Mart to 'the duck-tape section' as I refer to it; considering that was all I really cared about in that whole section of the store.

Taking his hand in mine I began rocking them back and forth slightly. "I love that," I had gulped down my last bite of ice cream and continued. "You will come to Wal-Mart with me, when I’m in my sweats and my T-shirt, and my hair is not done at all, while I stuff my face with ice cream, in October." I laughed smiling at him. I mean let’s face it, he truly was amazing if he could put himself in that position of utter embarrassment.  

He leaned down and brushed his lips against my cheek softly and laughed. "I don't care what other people think, remember? And you look pretty good for a ditching school day. I wouldn't have gotten that ready if I were you."

Playfully pushing his side, I laughed at him.  “Yeah I know right, I'm totally rocking this ponytail and sweats," I said in a stuck up tone of voice. 

"You really are," he smiled softly at me. "I love it." 

"Anthony! Not here," A woman called out. Something caused Kaden's grip on my hand to tighten as we turned into the isle with the duck-tape and Super glue.  There was a couple at the end of the aisle, and as I turned to the shelf full of tape but before I even had time to grab a role Kaden gripped my hair and crashed his lips against mine forcefully. 

I tried to pull away out of confusion but he gripped tighter. He pulled away just enough to move his lips as our faces were covered mostly by his hair. "Don't move,"

*Kaden's POV*

"Anthony!" I heard a woman cry out in a hushed tone as she tried to hide her laughter. "Not here," she finished.

That name made me grit my teeth. I hadn’t noticed my grip had tightened on Echo’s hand until she looked up at me with concern. I tied to relax my grip but when my eyes involuntarily flickered down to look at the couple standing at the end of the aisle that became impossible. 

“No it can't be him. He’s in jail and he can't hurt me anymore.” I thought silently to myself as I saw his face. I never did find out how long my father would be in jail, but it had only been two and half years. His sentence had to be longer than that right? It wasn't him, it couldn't be.

But sadly it was him, and I knew it.

And now I had no idea what to do, to I run or just continue on as normal and hope he doesn’t see me. No, I had to hide, I had to get out of here. He was crazy he would lash out if he saw me.